LT95 replacement

Technical questions and answers
noexitroad

LT95 replacement

Post by noexitroad »

My gearbox has been on it's last legs for a while now and so I acquired a replacement LT95 out of an early Rangey some time ago. Is it easiest to remove the motor first or is it easy enough to try and get it out with motor still in place?
harry potter

Re: LT95 replacement

Post by harry potter »

hi,

l have been in a similar situation with my gear box. this is the conclusion l have come to:

1. does the engine really need to come out? - are you replacing it with another enginer or will you be stripping it and rebuilding it? if so then YES.
2. does the hassel of removing the rad, pipe work, electrics work, (remember time to disconnect everything) work in your favour? do you have storage space for everything?
3. do you have the lifting capacity to remove the engine/gear box combined? if not you will need to split the box.
4. do you have the space to safely store the engine whilst its out of the truck?
5. removing the engine requires the engine to be replaced again back in the truck - getting it set on the engine mounts is a FPITA.
6. benifit of removing the engine - access to the chassis to clear any rust - paint and protect.
7. you can remove the gear box from below the truck - removable cross member - do you have the tools, equipment to safely lower the box from the truck?
8. (my preferd method) remove soft top canvas roof (because l can), remove seats and seat box and doors. using engine crane, split engine from box lift out gear box and exit through door.
9. get a garage to remove the box. my local landy garage has quoted £150 to remove my gear box and place in the back.

my prefered method would be to leave the engine in place and drop or lift out.
hope this helps - can you post a pictures of your process to help others.
Regards