Stump the Cump! Electrical problems...

Technical questions and answers
mharshman

Stump the Cump! Electrical problems...

Post by mharshman »

Hello All.
OK, so I have had my V8 for almost a year. It had three previous owners.... I got it. It runs great. BUT in typical English Fashion the electrical issue has arrived. I am no Automotive Electrician. First my High beams didn't work , than the wind shield wipers do not work... Plus other items do not work. Checked all the fuses.... The basic stuff is going out....
All right... Stump the Chump! I replaced all the turn signals and brake lights with LED 25 watt bulbs. These bulbs are great! (Twice as bright as original) BUT!!!! The turn signals do not flash. (Hazzards work great!!) So before you ask.... I replaced the in dash flasher with a LED flasher (Two pin). Supposely to flash regardless of wattage. Than I replaced the rear bulbs and rear lens... Holy Crap TWO more flashers!!!! Both Hella. (For trailer hook up??)
I bought two WIPAC LED flashers to replace those. (Four pin) Yet it still will NOT flash!! Any clue why this is an issue? LED bulbs, and LED flashers????
Any info would be helpful, Matt
88 stage1

Re: Stump the Cump! Electrical problems...

Post by 88 stage1 »

I would check your earths, mine had crumbled into a pile of white powder, connected them to clean solid metal and everything was good! Worth a try.
tait

Post by tait »

I second the 'Earth' (ground, we call it over here in Canada!)...bad connections caused my tail lights to only work occasionally, my fuel gauge to sporadically malfunction, my in-dash turn signals to cut out, etc. Such a simple thing to fix...finding the bad 'ground' is another problem! Hope you solve it soon!
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Not really understanding your commentary.

You don't have high beam: Did you check the indicator stalk? You might want to consider rerouting the head lights through a relay.

You don't have wipers: What other symptoms? Do they not work at all, are they working intermittently, and was their demise immediate or did their failure occur over a period of time? Do you get get no wiper of only standard speed with no high speed? Do they stop/start? What happens if you wriggle the switch? It is probable that the brushes are worn. These are replaceable but the motor is in such a position that it is a pain in the arse to replace the brushes.

"The basic stuff is going out": Don't understand that phrase.

"Stump the Chump" :?:

Indicators not working but hazards are: Suggests indicator stalk or voltage regulator. Don't know what an LED flasher is or if it is compatible with the Stage 1 circuitry. Is yours 12 or 24V? Most direct replacement LED lights do not like voltage and current fluctuations. I have found this on my boat, where lights will stop working due to voltage variations.

"Holy Crap TWO more flashers!!!! Both Hella. (For trailer hook up??)": :?: What do you mean? You found two more, you lost two, two more are working or two more are not working??? Don't see the relevance of trailers in this context. Even on the military wiring circuit, there are no additional flasher units for the trailer lights so if you have additional flashers, then I'd rip them out because that is probably someone's bodge.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
mharshman

Re: Stump the Chump! Electrical problems...

Post by mharshman »

Hello all,
Sorry I have been extremely busy with work. Yet my elcectrical problems remain.
This is correct, three differnet flasher units. I bought LED bulbs for all turn signals, brake and front service lights. Twice as bright!!! I bought, specifically an LED flasher. It will (supposedly) flash regardless of voltage. Bought another two for the rear when I found those....(not Hella, regular two way flashers) I was puzzeled as well, why three? I had another tell me it was because of a trailer hook up. Trust me, these LED lights are twice as bright during the day!!
And you may be right, a botched wiring job from another. My truck is a civilian special order with 12V. Wipers worked one day, not the next? I search the world over to find another two speed / washer switch. That took two months alone. Found one in Sweden. That part is no longer made. (More exspensive than gold!!!) You can find One speed, one speed / washer, two speed. Not two speed / washer. Extra option back then. That alone cost me 120 Euro!!! Who knows why high beams do not work, regular lights are installed, nothing special. Everything on indicator stalk works except that. Bought another just in case. Basic stuff meaning, dash lights not working, Interior hood/ceiling light not working, fuel gauge is spotty, reverse and fog light gone.
I have found a local Auto electrician who knows English cars. Saving up to pay for his services is another story..... I estimate around $1000 in USD for him to trouble shoot, fix all wiring issues.
\ thank you for your replies....
Matt
disco2hse

Re: Stump the Chump! Electrical problems...

Post by disco2hse »

mharshman wrote:This is correct, three differnet flasher units. I bought LED bulbs for all turn signals, brake and front service lights. Twice as bright!!! I bought, specifically an LED flasher. It will (supposedly) flash regardless of voltage. Bought another two for the rear when I found those....(not Hella, regular two way flashers) I was puzzeled as well, why three? I had another tell me it was because of a trailer hook up. Trust me, these LED lights are twice as bright during the day!!
There should be one flasher unit.
mharshman wrote:Wipers worked one day, not the next? I search the world over to find another two speed / washer switch. That took two months alone. Found one in Sweden. That part is no longer made. (More exspensive than gold!!!) You can find One speed, one speed / washer, two speed. Not two speed / washer. Extra option back then. That alone cost me 120 Euro!!!
This is what you need. Took about five minutes: http://store.amequipment.com/twist-knob ... p-112.html

Wasn't an extra option. Standard on Stage 1's.
mharshman wrote:Who knows why high beams do not work, regular lights are installed, nothing special. Everything on indicator stalk works except that. Bought another just in case.
Install the switch and see if that makes a difference.

mharshman wrote:Basic stuff meaning, dash lights not working, Interior hood/ceiling light not working, fuel gauge is spotty, reverse and fog light gone.
Sounds like voltage stabiliser needs to be replaced.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

If anyone wants the genuine item (2 speed wiper/washer switch):

http://www.pangolin4x4.com/series-land- ... 6358969652

(scroll down to 4th item from the bottom)
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
mharshman

Post by mharshman »

Thanks Disco2hse,
I wanted original parts, a two speed push knob I could get anywhere. I did see many that were way to big to fit. Sorry I did not mention that.
I will look into the volt stabilizer. Hopefully it should do the trick. I am planning to take it to an Auto Electrician. Electrical trouble shooting is not my idea of fun.

Thanks again. Mharshman