Newby Question: What is wrong with the LT95?

Technical questions and answers
Geoff

Re: Newby Question: What is wrong with the LT95?

Post by Geoff »

I too have owned both and I totally agree with everything llandes says. I don't know about California but the only trouble in the UK is - to add to what I said above about there being something wrong with your vehicle if it won't do the legal limit plus some - OR you just passed your MOT and you haven't got it home yet ... (do I feel a rant coming on?)
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
firemanshort

Re: Newby Question: What is wrong with the LT95?

Post by firemanshort »

I have never driven a Land Rover 5 speed (LT77 or R380). They are mythical creatures to me. I have driven/owned a Series III 2.25 w/ 4 speed. My results are very similiar to my American brother from the West Coast.

I have messed about with my LT95, though. I had an overdrive and that was nice - until it broke. I then went through the process to change the transfer case gearing. In both cases, I was looking to get better highway speed out of the truck. (I have to drive several hours down the highway to get to some of my Land Rover club events.)

My experience has taught me;

- stock LT95 is good but suffers from noisy layshaft bearings - not fatal noise, just noise
- LT95 overdrives are OK, a little noisy, parts are mostly unobtanium and expensive
- Xfer gear swap is an easy/quiet way to get better top speed but do not go for too high a gear ratio

In all cases, the noisy lay shaft bearing is present (maybe it is part of the "charm").

Bottom line, the LT95 gearbox is perfectly fine for these trucks.
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA