Rear Lens puzzle?

Technical questions and answers
mharshman

Rear Lens puzzle?

Post by mharshman »

Hello All,
I just recently purchased MOD LED lights for my Stage III. These fit inside the existing lens and holder. Which is what I wanted, the same original look, just brighter lighting.
My Stage III was a special order. The front lens are regular standard size, as with the rear indicator lens. The rear tail light and reverse lens are however bigger in size. (80mm?? 130cm???) I want to replace all lens for new ones, when installing the LEDs. Each one over the years have been replaced of different manufactures. No two are from the same Company.
What are the sizes of these lens? (mm/cm or inches) I have measued them, no website matches my measurements? I continue to research online, and most sites just say Rear tail light. Not by size. Are these defender lights? The clear Reverse lights DO have a metal base, different from all the rest? Also my Fog Lamp lens is square, not rectangle. The parts Catalog has only shows the smaller size lens.
Can anyone who can identify these and give me the correct Part Numbers for the lens? I have seen lens range from $.59 to $26.00 GBP.... Want to make sure I buy the right ones.
As for the LEDs, sold in sets of two. Ebay auction number 360704018762. A few left.

Thank you in advanced.
-Matt
Attachments
The new LEDs, will Silicone them in place, 15 LED 1.3W
The new LEDs, will Silicone them in place, 15 LED 1.3W
LIGHT1.jpg (33.07 KiB) Viewed 5051 times
Rear of my Truck
Rear of my Truck
P5061026a.JPG (114.45 KiB) Viewed 5051 times
disco2hse

Re: Rear Lens puzzle?

Post by disco2hse »

Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
mharshman

Post by mharshman »

Thanks Disco2hse for the links..... Apparently you didn't read my post clearly..... MOST site just have a lens for sale.... NO sizes. These two links had the same. Here is a lens.... Although one DID have the silver ring base. Did not state the size.... I want to buy the correct size as what I have.

Thanks for your help.

-Matt
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Buy their lights and they will be the correct size. Otherwise, email them and ask ;)
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
mharshman

Post by mharshman »

Molded into the plastic lens are as follows.....
Front and Back Amber lens - Lucas L760
Front Clear lens - Lucas L760
Rear Stop / Tail lens - Lucas L761
Rear Reverse Clear Lens - Lucas L691
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

I have learned that "correct" is a hard word to use with these Land Rovers. There was so much variation in the factory builds - even within the same model years. All the parts are the the same - or near enough for British automotive standards in the 1970's and 1980's. Then to say nothing of the lives they live once they have transfered into "enthusiast ownership".

I would worry less about getting them "correct" and just do like Disco-man says. On my truck, the amber and red lens are the same size (front and rear). the white rear lights are slightly bigger and my fron white lights are the same size as the amber. I also have a rectangular rear fog light. All of my lights are WIPAC (which is a cheap replacement make). I have grown to prefer a LUCAS metal based light so that the lens screws do not bust out like the do so easily in the plastic WIPACS.

Anyway - in North Carolina - you are reduced to fishing on mail order (same as me).
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
mharshman

Post by mharshman »

Thanks Firemanshort,
Map1275 told me the rear stop lights are from Series II, yet they are bigger? Well with all that in mind, I should buy all new light fixtures rather than just lens replacements. My LEDs will be in this week. Can not wait to hook them up and see the difference. I should not need the LED resistors, but ordred some just in case. Three dollars a pair was a steal. Military, waterproof LEDs at $8 GBP a set! Another great steal. And they fit inside the existing lens!
Cheers, Matt