Multialarm is alarming

Technical questions and answers
disco2hse

Multialarm is alarming

Post by disco2hse »

I have a multialarm that is branded AIS. I cannot find this with Google. Is it possible it may exist with a different brand name? The device sounds when oil pressure is lost and water level is too low. There is also an option to test batteries, although that doesn't seem to be working.

On the same note, for some weird reason the alarm keeps sounding unless I turn on the driving lights or headlight. This is since one wire (brown) came lose while I was doing some work. I reattached the wire and now the alarm keeps going.

There are five wires on the multialarm device brown, green, black, white and red. Would I be right in assuming that:
brown = alternator output
green = water level sender
black = 24V battery feed
white = oil pressure sender
red = ignition

The alarm appears to be connected to the red ignition feed (through a thin red wire) and the brown wire (through a thin black wire). When I disconnect the brown wire, the alarm stops. When I reconnect it, the alarm starts but when I turn the lights on, it stops.

The alarm only sounds when the ignition key is on. Previously, it used to only sound when the engine was not running or if either of the faults were in existence.

Does someone have a wiring diagram for the multialarm? I have not been able to identify it on the standard wiring diagrams and I can't find my military diagrams.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
noexitroad

Re: Multialarm is alarming

Post by noexitroad »

hi alan,
i have a diagram.
pin 1 is brown which looks like it comes from a connector with red wires to ammeter lamp, speedo lamp, instrument lamp
pin 2 is red to buzzer and links back to water temp gauge, then links to hazard switch in green colour (supply i think)
pin 3 is white from oil pressure switch
pin 4 is violet from split diodes
pin 5 is black to ground
pin 6 is green to low water sensor
pin 7 is black to other side of buzzer

if you want a copy of the diagram then give me a little time. it is a3 and i will have to go to town to get it copied.
i ripped all that s*!t out of mine which is gathering dust in the shed so you are welcome to it
i drink "waikato" :wink:
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Hey that's great. Thank you. I would truly value a scan of the wiring diagram. If you scan each end on an A4 scanner, I can photoslop them together. I'll make it available to the public if you don't mind.

Thanks for the offer of the crap in the shed, but I have enough in mine for now :D

After this, I was thinking the same thing about ripping it all out, after all, I have a temp gauge and oil pressure warning light on the dash. But then I thought I'd have to spend a whole weekend trying to unravel the birds nest just to get it all out :evil:

Then I thought, what am I going to fill the big hole in the dash with? or do I pull the centre console panels off completely? but what about the hazard flasher and those two strange looking red relays that I have no idea what they are there for...

The diodes are out of commission since I replaced the alternator with a Bosch.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
noexitroad

Post by noexitroad »

red relays?
possibly fuel gauge relay and side tank relay? or maybe ignition control relay and load shedding relay?
it will make sense when you get the diagram
i will have a go at scanning diagram and see how i go
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Might have beat you to it.

My local auto-sparky knows these exact devices and even told me where they were made (it's now a seedy Japanese night club).

Link to pdf for installation and wiring instructions: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3-bYnO ... sp=sharing

And, we think we know where I went wrong. I moved a wire off the switch and onto a post. I need to move it back (fingers crossed).
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5