Windscreen Seal Replacement, FYI

Technical questions and answers
mharshman

Windscreen Seal Replacement, FYI

Post by mharshman »

Hello All,
Just replaced one windscreen. I was having issues with rain pouring in on me from around the windscreen. OK, needs new windscreen gasket.
Purchased windscreen gasket. Bought extra just to be sure. 1 bag of about 5 meters. I purchased three bags. This gasket is supposed to straddle the windscreen glass along it's edge, folded over on both sides. Very narrow!!!
The dismantle. Without the proper tools, I managed to crack one of the windscreens. Stopped project, ordered two new ones! Manual says to take top facia off? This means the whole dashboard!! Now it became a major project.
The dismantling, part two. The driver's side windscreen just popped out, gasket was so old and worn away, it was not holding anything. Cleaned and scraped all the surfaces....
I also purchased water proof caulk and caulked the outer windscreen frame. Took rubber seal and cut to length. Stuck it to the caulk. I noticed that the window had some extra room on the sides and top. With the extra gasket. I again caulked and laid the rubber gasket on the bottom of the window sill, where the glass would actually be sitting on.
Screwed back the retaining plates and was happy with it. Replaced almost all the screws, including the facia / dashboard.
The passenger side windscreen's upper corner cracked within 24 hours.
In the future I will get a completely different seal for the windscreen.
Just my experience.... Total time from start to finish in about an hour and a half. Best to have a friend hold the glass in place, when screwing retaining plates back in.

Hope this is helpful?

Mharshman
disco2hse

Re: Windscreen Seal Replacement, FYI

Post by disco2hse »

Just used Sika. 5 years and no problems. The dumdum had long since perished and gone hard (it leaked badly).

You can drop the windscreen forward if it's not tied to a hard top.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5