Exhaust Manifold Gaskets

Technical questions and answers
Mrs Bingham

Exhaust Manifold Gaskets

Post by Mrs Bingham »

I'm a bit curious - I had to remove the exhaust manifolds so that i can renew the downpipe studs. When they came off I noticed that weren’t any gaskets fitted between the manifolds and cylinder heads. I've purchased new gaskets when I ordered the parts, but I have noticed that there is no reference to them in the parts book or the V8 supplement.

My question is - should there be gaskets fitted between the manifold and cylinder head :?:
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)
harry potter

Re: Exhaust Manifold Gaskets

Post by harry potter »

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID009935

I replaced mine. They can be fitted back to front and wrong way round.
drifter

Post by drifter »

A lot of the V8 engines of that era didn't have exhaust gaskets when they were brand new.

The assumption was that they were new machined surfaces and would be straight and flat.

My Holden 253 V8 (in the Series 2a I sold) didn't have them and the Stage 1 I have didn't have them.

Both engines do now - age, time, heat - plenty of potential to warp or shift a bit. The gasket is really just a gap filler...
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Yep. Fit the gaskets. You will find that the metal ones that cover two of the exhaust ports, leak. If you can find them use a composite gasket instead. The single ones can be a real pain to fit if the studs have come out!!
Little tip, make sure that the gasket doesn't block any of the port. File/cut the gasket to fit.