little help needed

Technical questions and answers

little help needed

Post by 5988 »

Struggling to iddentify the correct routing of the engine harness, from the multi pin connector at with the main harness

The end points, starter, alternator and connector are obvious, but how it routes to them isnt
The manual isnt helpfull on this matter either,

could someone with a spare 5 mins take some pics showing this please
Mrs Bingham

Re: little help needed

Post by Mrs Bingham »

I've had to take the wings off to get to the exhaust manifolds so that I can change the exhaust! You can guess what the downpipe studs were like :roll:

Anyway, I can now see where everything goes or should go, so let me know if you need any info. I can't provide anything until the weekend though.

This is from memory, but the engine wiring loom runs from the bulkhead and sort of across the top of the starter motor and then behind/under the engine mount. There's a kind of cable tray around the mount that it all lays on. It then splits and goes up for the alternator, temp sender and thermo switch and drops down for the oil pressure guage and light. Logic would suggest there should be some retainer eyelets or clips to tidy it all up but that might be me getting carried away :lol:
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)

Post by 5988 »

Sorry never got back on this,

After a few months I'm finally back on with my Stage 1 so will try it in that area and see how it looks

Thanks

P.s if anyone has any under bonnet photos they would be useful
Mrs Bingham

Post by Mrs Bingham »

Photos will be quite difficult to take in situ because the wiring is pretty much hidden away behind the exhaust manifold. I’ve put mine all back together now but it is still fresh in my memory if you need any info.

I will just add from my previous post that the oil pressure sender wire is not part of the main wiring loom but it does run along with it more or less on the same route. The cable tray that fits under the engine mount is quite important in that it makes sure that the loom routes correctly and keeps it well away from the exhaust manifold. I’d imagine this cable tray can easily get left off during engine swaps over time so it’ll be interesting to know if it is still there on your truck.
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)