where to mount the heater control valve

Technical questions and answers
janwijbrand

where to mount the heater control valve

Post by janwijbrand »

A while ago I was able to obtain an original heater control valve. I'd like to fit it, esp. now that the cooling system has been drained anyway to repair the radiator (I must've hit it while working on the car, without even noticing it and out came a small stream of cooling liquid. The repair shop charged only 25 euros to solder the little hole, clean it, test it and spray paint it black again..!).

Anyway, since I got the car, 2 years ago, without the control valve, just two new rubber hoses from manifold to the heater matrix, I have no idea where it should be mounted.

Would anyone perhaps have a photo or diagram of how and where the control valve should be located?

Your help is highly appreciated!!
Jan-Wijbrand
109"3.5V8 'Stage One', 1981 | Volvo 245 'Super Polar', 1992
firemanshort

Re: where to mount the heater control valve

Post by firemanshort »

These are two fuzzy cell phone photos of my heater valve mounting. I have an Edelbrock intake - so I am not exactly stock. But, if I remember correctly, the mounting on the stock intake manifold is fairly the same.

Stage One Heater Valve by Firemanshort, on Flickr

Stage One Heater Valve by Firemanshort, on Flickr

I am on my second heater valve. This one is starting to leak out through the plunger - just like the first. I will probably revert back to my "temporary fix" of using directly connectted heater hose and a garden hose quarter turn valve. This is a pretty ghetto fix - but it is simple and seems more reliable than these cruddy valves.

I would love to find another decent 4 way valve that I could source for reasonable cash (and that would mount reasonably). I have heard of using heater vlaves for Sherpa Vans - but we do not have those vans here in the US and I have never actually laid eyes on one before.
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
janwijbrand

Post by janwijbrand »

firemanshort wrote:These are two fuzzy cell phone photos of my heater valve mounting. I have an Edelbrock intake - so I am not exactly stock. But, if I remember correctly, the mounting on the stock intake manifold is fairly the same.
This is very helpful! Thanks a lot!
regards, jw
Jan-Wijbrand
109"3.5V8 'Stage One', 1981 | Volvo 245 'Super Polar', 1992
DPuckey

Post by DPuckey »

Anyone know the part number for the mounting bracket for the heater valve? Or even better have a spare one handy?

Got a brand new valve, but on a rebuilt V8 not from a Stage one, so of course now no bracket!
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

ERC3484 Good luck finding one. And good luck fitting it if you do, if you don't have a Stage 1 engine. I recently removed a leaking valve from one of mine but couldn't see how to remove the bracket. You're probably best finding some other way to mount your new valve, unless anyone else knows different?
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
map1275

Post by map1275 »

I've actually got two or three somewhere as they don't fit the Australian arrangement. They really need to be stainless or galvanised steel.
DPuckey

Post by DPuckey »

Found my old valve in my spares box with the bracket still attached, bit of a result, will have a go at it this weekend, got to try to fit in the take off pipes for the lpg mixer between engine and heater valve as well!

Got a 110 cable which should do the job, go the attachment bit still on the old valve, but missing the cable retaining clip
Mik

Post by Mik »

I've actually got two or three somewhere
selling ;)?
Michael
1965 109 FC SIIA
1982 109 V8 SIII CSW Stage One
1982 109 V8 SIII HCPU Stage One
1990 RRC Vogue SE
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Yes. No use to me. I think I know where they are.
Mik

Post by Mik »

Fantastic - ill pm you ;)
Michael
1965 109 FC SIIA
1982 109 V8 SIII CSW Stage One
1982 109 V8 SIII HCPU Stage One
1990 RRC Vogue SE