Show me your consoles!

Technical questions and answers
Greenmobile

Show me your consoles!

Post by Greenmobile »

I'm at the stage where I need to fit extra switches for lights, heated seats etc. But where?
What have you done? A simple panel under the dash, cubby box or a new console like this?

http://www.raptor-engineering.co.uk/def ... nsole-dash

All ideas/suggestions welcome!
Mrs Bingham

Re: Show me your consoles!

Post by Mrs Bingham »

I upgraded my dash a while back but I wanted it to look as original as possible plus I didnt want to cut anything. Although very practical (and relatively expensive) the Raptor dash requires cutting the original dash.

I had this chap design some panels for me at a very reasonable price. It looks like he might have withdrawn the SIII parts but worth getting in touch because he made a batch of them.

http://www.sigmadsl.co.uk/#

See link to my original post and note the centre dash piece towards the bottom of the post - I elected to fit guages but a blank panel was available.

http://www.stage1v8.org.uk/phpBB3/viewt ... sh+upgrade
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)
Mrs Bingham

Post by Mrs Bingham »

Just to add:
I emailed the chap at Sigma yesterday and he has confirmed that he still has stock of the SIII dash panels; he just isn’t pushing the business as he’s had to take on a full time job. These really are cleverly designed panels. The kit comes with two panels plus optional side panels and all the fixings you need, and everything uses the original mounting points and holes so there is no drilling and more importantly no cutting. The front panel screws on to the vent panel and the existing (or optional) side panels screw to it thus parting them sufficiently to take the dash panel which you can mount your accessories on. It only takes five minutes to fit them and they fit perfectly.

Out of interest I worked with him on designing a prototype lower door panel specifically for the anti-burst locks. I think only the front door ones made it to production to test the market but the idea was to make them all including ones for the rear doors and 101’s. Initially they were bare aluminium but the intention was to cover them in rot resistant vinyl with soundproofing on the door side. The idea was to make something that looks original but without the inherent problems you get with warping and falling apart.

If anyone is interested PM me and I'll pass you his personal contact details.
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)
Greenmobile

Post by Greenmobile »

Thanks for that, my Stage One is my daily driver so preserving every rivet isn't too high up the list. But, I'm not too keen on hacking up the dashboard either.
That panel could be a good compromise for the switches, new guages will have to wait a while! :D
janwijbrand

Post by janwijbrand »

I concur: I also installed the auxiliary dash panel using the components from http://www.classiclandrover.co.uk/# Sad to see he had to shutdown the original website... Anyway, this is what I did with the panels - I ordered the wide, blank front panel, he base panel and the side panels, for a custom gauge and switches layout:

The empty gauge-hole in the dahsboard is reserved for second volt meter, whenever I install a dual-battery setup.
Jan-Wijbrand
109"3.5V8 'Stage One', 1981 | Volvo 245 'Super Polar', 1992
sebking

Post by sebking »

I see you have a rev counter in there, looks very similar to one I purchased from flea bay. Have you git it working as I appear to be getting some odd results. I've take the signal wire the coil and set the gauge to 8 cyc but seems to be showing way too many rpm.

Cheers

Seb
1970 Spitfire MKIII
1981 Laser 1 88643
1982 Stage 1 v8 SW
1992 Laser 2 9101 "Purple Reign"
2000 Laser Pico 4050
2001 Brompton M3L
2010 VW California GP 140 SE
2010 Brompton M6L
2010 Venture Ranger 16 Canoe
2010 Cube Ltd Pro