exhausts

Technical questions and answers
Ginga

exhausts

Post by Ginga »

Has anyone had any experience of fitting a new stainless manifolds and exhaust system. My manifolsd is blowing and exhaust not much life left.
If so how much and where did you get them.
Will a 110 exhaust system fit. will 110 defender manifolds fit

So far ive had "110V8 sports system 1986-92 including stainless steel manifolds at £718 including delivery" from an ebay supplier

Longlife system, would cost circa £400, including fitting and VAT, with a lifetime guarantee. A pair of manifolds would be £900. (OUCH)

Rimmer do a 110 for LR 1040(includes manifolds) at £469 inc vat
Theres always a way !
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

Have you considered the Hedman headers available from summitracing.com? They are about 65GBP a set!!! From there just have someone weld you a custom set of pipes on the cheap!
Ginga

Post by Ginga »

thanks arcticrover :D I forgot to mention the Longlife qoute is for custom job so a set of headers for about £65 and then £400 for custom fit sounds best. I do have a favor to ask though. I looked on summitracing.com - Very very cool, but there is a bewildering array of buick headers available. Could you please post a URL of the appropriate ones and ill get them.
Regards Ginga
Theres always a way !
V8darren

Post by V8darren »

I fitted a 110 mild steel exhaust to my Stage 1, it was a complete bugger the 110 system is designed for coil springs and the Stage 1's leaf springs are exactly where tyhe 110's rear silencer goes and the rear silencer tail pipe is too short I had to extend it to reach the back. Fitting it involved lots of cutting, twisting and rewelding of the pipe to get it to fit. The down pipes are also different the Left hand side as you look at the front grill was ok but the right hand side was too short I had to extend it to meet the Y section.

Darren
You know your in heaven when the V8's a revin
firemanshort

Exhaust Headers

Post by firemanshort »

Here is the part number from Summit Racing...$135 USD

HED-39800

http://store.summitracing.com/default.a ... p&x=45&y=8
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
Ginga

Post by Ginga »

Result. Thanks guys. I now know not to buy a 110 system and how to get around extortionate header prices. Ill let you all know how I get on. Regards Ginga
Theres always a way !
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

Do you think they deliver to the UK? Thats a bloody cheap set of headers!

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
Ginga

Post by Ginga »

Yes they do. Ive just bought them and it came to $160 including delivery which is approx £93. Undoubtedly there will be VAT and import duty (taxes) when they arrives in UK but I expect that to be no more than £30.
Theres always a way !
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

All told in this past week I have gotten all of this from summitracing.com for around 350GBP:

Mallory Unilite
Mallory HP Coil
Mallory Resistor
Crane Lifters
Isky Cam
K&N Oil Filter
ARP Head studs
ARP Main studs

And the shipping is very inexpensive. . . . like 30GBP (included in the total above).
martin hughes

Post by martin hughes »

just had my manifold welded,
LHS in stock at craddocks about £45
RHS as rare as hens teeth
1982 109 V8 Station Wagon
1965 88 Short Wheel Base
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

RHS as rare as hens teeth
Will have to hang on to the spare one I have then just in case!

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

Ginga-

Have you fitted the headers from summit yet? Any problems?
Ginga

Post by Ginga »

arcticrover wrote:Ginga-

Have you fitted the headers from summit yet? Any problems?
Have yet to fit them, they are lovely, I might just hide them under the bed and look at them and keep them to myself ... Ahem

My intention is to rock up to Longlife exhausts they fit my new headers and then they fabricate besspoke stainless sports exhaust to suit. They suggest 3-4 hours - ETA is early April.

What I will do in the interim is offer them up (as best I can) and have a thorough measure up to see if they foul the chassis, as I would feel a right turnip if they dont fit when i go to Longlife.
For £93 (of exquistely curvy sensouse ... Ahem - they really are nice) I figured it was worth the risk.

I will post to let you know how I get on

Regards

Ginga

(Did I mention the Exhaust headers ive just got are rather nice) :D
Theres always a way !
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

I have fitted tubular exhaust manifolds for a 110 to my stage one.
You have to make rather dramatic changes to it if you want to make it fit.
My car is left hand drive so you might have to turn the story around if yours is rhd.

De right hand side of the car is the easiest side. The only problem I had was that the spot where the 4 pipes join hits the bolt of the spring shackle. Some heating and bending made this al fit. I also got rid of the bolt head and welded the bolt in the shackle to save some room. It is a tight fit but it works.

At the left hand side of the car it is a different story. First I did the same to the shackle to make it work. The manifolt then fits, but you can't steer. The arm of the steering servo hits the manifolt and i had to cut and reweld the manifolt pipe there.

After this was done it worked rather well, although this again is a very tight fit.

The rest of the exhaust system I didn't use from a 110. I had it custom built at a place called EPS (might be interesting for the dutch people on the forum. http://www.uitlaten.com)
With one small absorbtion damper in the middle I now have the sound and power I expected from the V8 engine.

If interested I can make some pictures of it offcourse.
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

I just got the Hedman hedders from Summit Racing today. I certainly hope they fit around that engine . . . they don't look like they hug as well as I thought they might. They also don't look to be too high quality either, but we'll have to wait on the results. I took the engine out on Sunday and it is currently at the machine shop being hot dipped and machined as necessary. Of course, I will be in Okinawa for the next week, so it may be a little while until I get back with you all . . .