Jumping out of Low range advice please

Technical questions and answers
harry potter

Jumping out of Low range advice please

Post by harry potter »

Hi, competed in my first RTV (Road taxed vehicle) comp on sunday. - pics to follow. truck was awesome - need power steering thou :D

l have found that when under load it jumps out of low range into netural.
no problems in high range.

l have looked through the forum for topics on why it would jump out but the topics are on changing ratio which l do not want to do. firemansam from the US has posted a valuable write up on gear replacement.

so the question is: what allows the transfer case to jump out of low range when under power?
is this a full transfer case strip out or can it be replaced insitue. l want a direct like for like replacement - l do not need the increase in speed ratio.
any thoughts- advice would be appreciated. l have until the 1st july to get ready for the next comp.
l have never looked inside a transfer box before :?
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

looking at page 153 of 549 of the series 3 and stage 1 parts list l can see two springs with balls at the end - do these become gunged up and allow it to jump out or is the problem more severe.
any pics would help.
thanks
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Typically it is not engaging properly or once engaged doesn't have the strength to stay engaged. So load under use throws the gears out of mesh or their partial engagement.

So you will have wear somewhere either starting in the linkages, through to the main fork or the springs inside the selector hub, the hub itself or any combination of any or all of the above.

If you have read your workshop manual you will see that most transfer case repairs are possible in situ. They are just messy and time consuming and can be expensive due to accumulated wear.
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

I think you are on the right track. You may have dirty balls but that may only be a contributing factor. I wager your selector fork and such are not fully seating into low gear.

Nevertheless, taking out the springs and cleaning your balls is not a bad thing. You can start there but be prepared to crack the xfer case open to look at your forks.
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

Cheers guys,
Will start with the springs and balls.
There is a real 50/50 split on re-furbs of the box on the net. half are working on a removed box - half insitu but messy work.

Also l was given advice to use a bungee cord to hold it in place - dangerous as you cannot guarantee that it wont jump out on a steep decent/accent.
Other advice offered -
Insufficient throw on the selector lever preventing the low ratio from engaging properly. Check the lever is clamped to the rotating cross shaft properly and at the right angle.
Worn detente springs or balls on the selector shaft.
Worn out slipper on the selector.
Possibly worn thrust washers on the intermediate gear assembly giving too much end float.
harry potter

Re: Jumping out of Low range advice please

Post by harry potter »

after having quite a busy start to the year, at the weekend l finally got round to having a look at why the LT95 box was jumping out of low range.

after removing the floor plates and transmission tunnel l was able to give the out side of the box a good clean up to avoid dropping any muck into the transfer box.
after undoing the 8 bolts that hold down the top cover l was still unable to the remove the cover as there seems to be something fixed to the underside of the the cover and is too long to be removed because of the seat box.

has anybody worked on the gear/transfer box whilst its still in the vehicle? if so did you remove the seat box? l did make a start on removing the bolts that hold the box in.

l also noticed the the selector shaft (FRC5882) can slide 5-6mm through the case. l assume there shouldnt be that much movement on the shaft.
am l also correct in assuming that to get the the detent springs (593802/571146) on the selector shaft you access them via inside of the box - there are not bolts on the outside as l cannot see any.

also there is a 5 welded onto the gear box case - any idea what this indicates?
l have also looked into the cost of a getting the gear box overhauled - going to be about £650 plus VAT :o by a company in Coventry. (looks like the motorbike is going to have to be sold)
thanks
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

I don't know if this will help you at all, but the gearbox and transfer box out of Alice are surplus to requirements. The indicated mileage on the speedo is 34,000 (approx). I have no idea how good/bad the gearboxes are. If you want them then make me an offer. :D
Hope this helps
Spen
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

Afternoon Spen, l hope your well and enjoying the nice sunshine we have finally had today.
thank you for the offer of the box - how ever l am in a difficult situation and l do not know what decision to make.
why is the gearbox/transfer box surplus - why is it not going back into alice?
my choices:
1) get my current box reconditioned by AW transmissions http://www.awtransmissions.co.uk/ at coventry and look at spending £650ish. the box would have to come out ect.
or
2) buy your box - (£X) you have honestly ammited you have no idea how good/bad it is (a garage sold me a bad v8 saying it was good - am sure your have seen those posts) fit it to my truck - might be lucky/might not be lucky. if unlucky then l have 2 duff gearboxes that would need to be re-built.

if you can rememver stirelingsilver (think thats his name - auz/NZ chap) he knew what he was doing and had the space and tools to do the works. would love to re-build but wouldnt have the time/space/tools.
l have also just got engaged so most savings are going into the wedding pot - the honda hornet 600 is prob going to be sold to sort this now :(

thank you again for the offer - got to think positively and hope that the problem is just with the detent springs - how ever l have read that a noisy box is a result of bearings on the way out - l need to get inside and have a look.
cheers
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

See the V8 Supplement, pp 37-26 to 37-32.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Appologies for my tardiness in responding, have been very buisy of late!!
Alice is going to have an LT77 5 speed fitted instead, hence one gearbox up for grabs.
I also run a Series 3 Lightweight, which is running a 3.9 driving through an LT95 gearbox. This was bought 2nd hand 15 years ago, it had done who knows how many miles in a Rangerover. The Lightweight has since covered over 35,000 miles, is used almost everyday. The transfer lever is 'held' in place by a bungie strap (due to it jumping out of gear), and has been for the past few years, with no issues. Will get around to one day sorting it out. :lol:
I know that the above is probably of no help, but you could live with a temp fix, get hitched, then when funs allow, fix the box? :D
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

Evening all, thought l would update this thread. I finally managed to remove the seat box today in the snow which allowed me full access to the top of the gear box. Got the inspection cover off to have a look inside.
All the gears look in good condition- no chipped or missing teeth.
However there is a spacer? That is gold/white not sure why this is?
Anyways.... Found out why it is jumping out of low range- took the bolt out for the detent spring to find that there is NO BALL OR SPRING fitted. New parts on order now. Hopefully this will sort the problem.
Seeing as seat box is removed gives a great opportunity to clean up chassis.
Paint may take a while to dry with the snow thou!
Cannot work out how to remove the top detent spring? Black circle on casing?
Any idea why my box has a number 5 on it?
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

Need some advice please.
I fitted the spring and detent ball this evening.
Took the truck out for a drive on the local green. It's still jumping out of low range :(

Can somebody please suggest what could be the next check could be?
Thanks
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Possibilities include:
  • adjustment on the selector forks
  • worn teeth on the engaging dogs of low range
  • shims/needle rollers/worn shaft on the intermediate gearset
  • intermediate shaft thrust washers
To check if it is the adjustment on the selector forks. Put the lever in neutral. Take the bottom inspection plate off the transfer case below the intermediate shaft and make sure the front fork is in contact with input gear engaging member. There should be a clearance of 0.12 to 0.25mm (0.0005 to 0.010in) between the face of the rear fork and the rear engaging member of the input gear. If this adjustment is correct I would then look at the engaging lugs on the small (low range) gear. If there is wear there (indicated by chipped or tapered engaging lugs this could be the problem. If the adjustment is incorrect you can adjust it by loosening the pinch bolt on the selector and retightening when the correct adjustment is obtained.

Did you see bronze in the transfer case oil when you changed it?
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5