Grill and Seating question

Technical questions and answers
robertstr

Grill and Seating question

Post by robertstr »

just wanted to know if a standard defender grill will fit on a stage one? Or do i need that ,front and slam panel that holds the grill in place as well? Hopefully that made same sense.

Next question, is can i use newer defender seats in place of the army seats that would kill a kidney in about hundred miles?

I plan on buying used stuff on Ebay, as i am in Florida, and seems the best prices, totally new at this so any general info is super appreciated!!

Cheers
Robert
Just bought x NZ army 109 Stage 1 V8
you cant fix stupid
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Yes and yes. You can do pretty anything you want, with enough effort.

Question is, why would you want to?

The original seats are actually quite comfortable. If yours have become compressed, then stick some new foam squabs in them. Cheaper and easier than new seats.

If the ride is harsh, it is probably because you have the heavy duty springs in the rear. Swap them for standard duty springs, and while you're at it, replace the chassis and spring bushes. In fact, do the fronts as well. In the meantime, chuck a couple bags of sand in the back.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
map1275

Post by map1275 »

No, you can't use the Defender or 110 grill.

The mounting is different. If you are rough and don't care about final finish you can drill holes into the skin of the existing Ser III front panel. However the best way is to buy a used 110 front panel complete with the square holes and nylon nuts. You could also use the A/C front panel if you want more space behind the grill.
map1275

Post by map1275 »

No you can't fit Defender seats.

Saying Defender means NOTHING as you cover almost 20 years of evolution and later seats won't retro fit.

It depends on precisely which vehicle you have and precisely which model the donor vehicle is.
Which army seats do you have for a start?

The original 110 seats will retro fit to Ser. III but they aren't brilliant and do not have as much cushion as Ser III. The original 110 seat is essentially what the final Series III County was fitted with.
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

Robert -

You will be happier if you pull out the vinyl low back seats (I assume that is what you have) and replace them with Exmoor High Back seats (or similiar brand).

That gets a little spendy - especially when you factor in shipping from the UK - but the comfort is worth it.

The width dimensions are slightly differnt when considering Series and Defender seats so if you did swap then you should swap the whole set and not try to mix-match old with new.

The earlier comment about springs is also good advice. I re-sprung my trcuk with parabolics before it shipped over and even those were too-tight. I removed a leaf and am doing better but the ride only gets "good" when there are a dozen bags of garden mulch in the back. My truck is a 2 door soft top so it is super light in the rear to begin with. If you have a station wagon / hard top then you will be carrying a little more curb weight than me.

Do not swap the grill. Stage One's are cool because of a lot of things - our grill included. :)

Are you going to try and make the Uhwarrie Safari in North Carolina this Spring? It will be a bit of a drive from FLA but heck... I am going to Maine for the Winter Romp this weekend..... :shock:
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
Greenmobile

Post by Greenmobile »

I replaced my seats for 2 Defender fronts (with heated elements) and 3 High backs in the second row, all from Sams Trim. Really impressed with them, and all the frames fitted to existing holes etc. :D
robertstr

wow, have the feeling I got an education comming!

Post by robertstr »

Thanks for all the replies! I guess its best to add photos when in doubt here as it seems so many varations are possible, which is part of fun.

I still want to do the defender grill, just like the look of em better, I added the seats pictures, maybe that will help a bit.

Thanks again for all the feedback, on the first step at the moment..

also added some under shots, as i dont really get all the suspension comments yet!

I was actually wanting to add third seat in the middle and figure out how to add forward facing bench thats removable in the back, have three kida so trying to figure out seating thats safe and legal. maybe the Defender jump seats right behind the driver properly installed is a good idea.
you cant fix stupid
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

I have never seen a center seat tray like that before. That is pretty cool. I guess it is a KIWI feature.
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

I have one under the house. They have matching barrel clips on the bulkhead. They're made from fibreglass.

About the rear seating, there are seats for these. They are longitudinal rather than across. To get the seats across would require a station wagon tub. I think the rear wheel arch is different.

Perhaps someone who has one can provide photos.

Also, looks like it has been a long time since that front spring has been off. I'd certainly look at pulling the springs and at the very least, have them reset. It'll make a huge difference to the ride.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
map1275

Post by map1275 »

The centre tray is for weapon butts. This will either be Styer or FN-SLR. The moulding is different depending on whether the vehicle was updated. There is a similar change to the upper brackets.
You will probably find some one in the States happy to buy all the parts for their NAS 90 or similar.

A replacement centre seat is readily available new, plus the pile of sundry parts you will need to make it fit. Though it probably won't be in a matching green and no slide adjuster.

If you want forward facing rear seats look at any very late Defender circa 2000>. They have a fold away arrangement for two passengers which IF done properly, IF, is legal. Exmoor make something similar however along with the random quality issues from Exmoor they also can have compliance issues to meet Federal requirements.

Otherwise my choice would be to fit the four factory centre facing seats which will just bolt in. This provides seating for eight. You will however need to buy or copy all the Land-Rover seat belt anchorages to make it legal and safe, Not DIY creations.
robertstr

A few questions....More

Post by robertstr »

K, bought some jump seats for a defender on ebay for 30 bucks!! Hopefully will be able to make work.

Can you tell me what the heck it means to reset the springs? Seems a lot of people seem to mod these to be a better ride....Will get some sand bags in the mean time. Man I got a lot to learn....

Hopefully nobody will think I am nutso, with this question... Can I add power steering to this beast? Or is that just a Bad Idea?

Cheers everybody, all the feedback is really great :D
you cant fix stupid
noexitroad

Post by noexitroad »

google heystee automotive regarding power steering, the price is a bit prohibitive so muscle up big boy!
i took some springs out of my leaves and greased them which made a big difference to articulation BUT there are other options. the only thing with adding grease between the springs is if you drive thru sand, mud etc then some of that will get amongst the grease and then you have sandpaper like wear on the springs which may shorten their life, but i thought who cares, i will deal with that later and it cost me nothing to make the improvement.
i have some inward facing rear seats which i will not be putting back in mine so if it has not left nz yet and you can arrange pick up from me (1 hours drive south of auckland) then you can have them. they were the standard army ones. if interested i can post a pix.
a lot of the questions you will have will probably already been covered in this forum so it is worth a few minutes (hours actually) sifting through the forum. the "search" feature doesn't seem much help i have found.
as for the seating issue- alan is right, they are not that uncomfortable but i bought a racing seat which i bolted in when i made a trip away for 3 weeks. it was good as it supported my whole body including support for my head when i got in amongst the rough terrain.
good luck :D
map1275

Post by map1275 »

How about you go for a ride in a concurrent Blazer, Bronco, Scout or Chief and see how good the ride isn't? They're supposed to be the Nth. American equivalent of Range-Rover.
sebking

seats

Post by sebking »

http://www.samstrim.co.uk/

Good seats, look right, right price.

Seb
1970 Spitfire MKIII
1981 Laser 1 88643
1982 Stage 1 v8 SW
1992 Laser 2 9101 "Purple Reign"
2000 Laser Pico 4050
2001 Brompton M3L
2010 VW California GP 140 SE
2010 Brompton M6L
2010 Venture Ranger 16 Canoe
2010 Cube Ltd Pro
robertstr

yeah that power stearing does not look so hot really...

Post by robertstr »

No Exit....thanks for the offer of the chairs! The car is rolling on the boat later this morning, so I wont be able to take you up on your cool offer...
you cant fix stupid