Bulkheads

Technical questions and answers
jonnyboy

Bulkheads

Post by jonnyboy »

I have been thinking again!

How much work do you think would be involved in converting a standard or 6 cyl series bulkhead to fit a stage 1?

The bulkhead is the only bit on my vehicle that has any rust. There is not a lot but I am going to have to break out the welder at some point and I may have a chance of a very good 4 cylinder bulkhead.

Jon

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
glencoyne

Post by glencoyne »

The Stage 1 bulkhead is exactly the same as the later 4 cylinder one. It is quite hard to describe the difference between early and late bulkheads without pictures, but here goes:

There is a flange on the back face of the bulkhead, to which is fixed (on a 4-cyl bulkhead) a U shaped cover plate which you have to remove to get to the bellhousing bolts, if you are removing the engine. Is the flange held onto the bulkhead with screws, or is it welded to the bulkhead? If it is held on with screws, this is a late type bulkhead, and you will find that if you remove the flange, the one from your Stage 1 bulkhead will fit straight on. For an earlier bulkhead with a fixed flange, you will have to make some modifications.

6-cyl bulkhead is a different design altogether and not really worth the hassle of converting.

Richard
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

Hi Richard

Thanks for the info, it looks like the one I had a chance of was an early type and its gone now.

Do you know if the same applies to any of the defender bulkheads?

Thanks

Jon

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

I fitted a 110 bulkhead a few years a go to a series 3. The main difference was the pedal mountings. I had to cut of the old one and weld it into the new bulkhead. The 4cyl flange screwed straight on so the original transmission tunnel could be used. Oh and I had to weld on the windscreen hinges and block the holes up for the later type hinges. But really it's only a few hrs work involved. Once done you can't tell the difference.
glencoyne

Post by glencoyne »

That's very interesting. There are some very cheap new Defender bulkheads around at the moment. Perhaps I should start stockpiling them.

Richard
firemanshort

DEFENDER bulkheads to Stage One

Post by firemanshort »

Besides Andy'a post above, does anyone else have experience replacing a Defender bulkhead on a Stage One? I see quite a few 'new' bulkheads on E-Bay but nothing for a Stage One specifically.

This looks like a good deal - if it would fit http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LANDROVER-DEFENDE ... dZViewItem

-Firemanshort
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA