Alice to the road!!

Technical questions and answers
disco2hse

Re: Alice to the road!!

Post by disco2hse »

Damn that looks good.

Graphite grease down the throttle cable.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

I have to say that exhaust looks amazing. where did you get that manufactured/custom built? was it a local/midlands build or are you dabbling in custom SS now?
the SU's look great as well - bit of a magpie for shiny bits

also l have a pass out from the wife for a meet up for beers and landy chat!
Mot is looking for early Nov now - when's yours?
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Sit rep.....
It has been nearly 4 years since I saw Alice (as she is now known) on Ebay and bought her there and then without looking at her. It was only when I was making arrangements to collect her that I found out she was in Scotland :shock:
Yesterday saw the culmination of the long slog as she flew through the MOT test with flying colours. Really chuffed.
On the way back, I stretched her legs a little along a dual carriage way only to have the 'fire' go out at a round about :oops:
Managed to get her going again but stopped after about 1/2 mile, just outside my parents house. The cause was a faulty coil which had got so hot it was virtually glowing!!
New coil fitted today and the 'fire' has been reinstated, much to my kids delight :D
She drives really well, with no squeaks or rattles, but that might be down to the roar from the exhaust. The exhaust system was made by a company in Nuneaton, Custom Chrome, who did say that if it was too noisy I could take her back and they would fit an additional silencer in for free!
Here's looking forward to many happy miles with a big grin on my face!
skittles

Post by skittles »

Congratulations mate!
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

Congratulations. Beat me to the mot- mine is next Monday.
Thanks for the details for the exhaust. I was looking at a power flow exhaust but after reviews from people that they are just made to be as noisy as possible.
Enjoy!! Been a great read on what you ave done!
gingerwinky

Post by gingerwinky »

very impressive rebuild, congratulations on a great looking vehicle. Did Custom Chrome make your exhaust headers too or did you source them elsewhere?
CaptainSlow

Post by CaptainSlow »

Great result! She looks lovely, well worth the effort.
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

The exhaust headers and manifolds are standard 3.9 EFI
By using the 3.9 EFI manifolds and headers you get the best set up possible. (4 into 2 into 1) and all the same length. It was this setup that my father in law (John Eales) took Landrover to the Dakar rally with, although the manifolds were not exactly standard!!
The only problem in using this setup is that the down pipes want to go through the middle of the cross member, which is a bit of problem. I used an old Range Rover crossmember turned upside down to get clearance.
I'll see if I can get a reasonable sound recording of the exhaust note, which is most un- landrover like. I may need to have an additional silencer added as the exhaust note is quite loud outside Alice, but surprisingly quiet inside.
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Thought that I would put up these pics of both my creations.
Image20151018_153954 by Spencer, on Flickr

Image20151018_154012 by Spencer, on Flickr

The Leightweight (known as 'The Heap') was resurrected over 15 years ago after a ground up restoration. Looks standard, except for that exhaust pipe which gives the game away!!
Rover V8 power mated to stage 1 gearbox. Everyone said it couldn't be done at the time!! Currently has nearly 50,000 miles on the clock and is used nearly everyday by my dad.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

8) 8)

haha you mean your dad keeps swiping *your* car keys.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Well I have now covered nearly 800 miles since Alice passed her MOT and so far it has been a very interesting journey getting to know her particular quirks!
Supermarket car parks are quite a challenge!!! The only technical difficulty has been an oil leak from the rear axle which was an easy fix.
Fuel economy is looking better than expected, I am monitoring her thirst, but we do seem to be able to pass a filling station without the need to pop in for a top up!!
Working on the interior and I am awaiting new headlining, door cards and rear side panel trims from La Salle, new seats from Exmoor Trim :D
Should keep me busy over the festive season!!
Pics to follow!!
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Post Christmas job.

Fit La Salle interior!!
Has anyone else had some experience of fitting this trim? I've got a new head lining, door cards and rear trim panels to fit when I've got some spare time.
Have covered just over 2000 miles since Alice returned to the road, list of jobs is now mounting, with various little jobs to be done, but work is currently getting in the way!!!
Still, means more money in the New Seat Fund :D

Hope that everyone has a Happy New Year!!
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Odometer reading 8175 miles.
Alice is still a joy to drive, bringing a smile to my face everytime I put the key into the ignition!!
I've had her full to the top with stuff, towed just under 3.5ton with her, carried 12 people all without any issues at all.
Interior is now all fitted, along with the headlining, which is a fiddley job and one that needs lots of patience!!
Rear row of seats have been replaced with Exmor items, which are very comfy. Just need to replace the front ones.
Once I re-learn how to put up pics, I'll throw some more recient ones on.
Adie

Post by Adie »

Sounds fab and would love to see some recent pics of Alice. Have followed your postings and hope mine comes out as good. 'Joseph' as mine was known prior to my ownership is similar to yours, Massai Red 12 seater CSW. However I am waaaaay back at the start of your 'blog' ! Lots of time and money yet to go!
1979 88" Series 3 Diesel (Daily Driver)
1982 109" Stage 1 V8 County Station Wagon
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

great effort and a brill read. well done with the milage, hope it hasn't hurt your wallet too much! :D

I think l have done similar millage in Kate but since the speedo cable fell out the back of the clock l am not sure.
unfortunately the landy is sorn and off the road for the first time in ages.