Alice to the road!!

Technical questions and answers
Alicerover

Alice to the road!!

Post by Alicerover »

Have started this topic to sort of document Alice's journey to being back on the road.
Intending on starting this journey this weekend. So I will put up some more detailed pics on the area's that will need some attention.

I welcome any views/comments as feed back is good :D
Spen
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Started today on the brakes as one or more wheels was a little reluctant to turn.
The plan was going to be to get Alice running to see what was what. It seems that the previous owner had not got very far in bolting everything back after replacing the chassis. So rarther than waste time, I'm going to remove the axles and recondition them, needs new cylinders, shoes, bearings seals etc. Will also give them a lick of paint.
On the gearbox front, happen to just have a LT77 gearbox and transfere box sat waiting to be put into something, so will get that reconed before I look at fitting.
Pics to follow
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Sounds like a plan.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Went shopping today.
Have bought a vehicle set of paraboilc springs with shock absorbers, shackles, u bolts, check straps and new brake hoses from Rocky Mountain. Not the cheapest, but they do look good 8) even get a little ally badge to rivet on :D
Have tried to post some pics, but for some reason they don't appear, have checked all the settings, but no joy :(
Will try again later.
Spen
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Where are you trying to link from?

Are you linking from a static address or the photo gallery?
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Was trying to link them from my facebook account, which is where the previous pics were linked to.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Have you set the permissions to allow anyone/anywhere to view the pictures?

Otherwise Picassa or something may be easier to work with.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Ahha!!
Have reicently changed some of my setting to try and make my account a little more secure. (Not sure that you can use the word secure and facebook in the same sentence :shock: )
Will try another site to store the pics.
Thanks for the prompt!!!
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

If I've got everything right, there should be some more pics of the progress so far.........

Alice minus rear axle

Just needs a good wire brushing, lick of paint and some new brake parts

Underside of rear tub. Not looking very pretty, I'm hoping that more use of the wire brush, lick of paint and a good wax oiling will slow up the decay. Well thats the plan!

New bits from Rocky Mountain

Work and a bad cold are currently getting in the way of any further progress. I was hoping to get the axle back in this weekend, will have to see what I can do next week.

Spen
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Had a productive afternoon. Rear axle is now ready for some paint and placed a large order of parts that should arrive tomorrow :D
So with a bit of luck the axle will be ready to refit by the end of the weekend. Have got to replace the rear tub supports, as they are looking very rotten and with the axle out, they are easy to get at.
Whilst I was ordering parts, I discovered that the front swivel balls are a tad on the expensive side :shock: However, after a quick ferret around the internet, it seems that the front axle from the end of the axle tube outwards, ie swivel assy, hub etc is early RangeRover classic (mainly two door with the course spline 1/2 shafts, with 6 bolt flange) to accomodate the cv joint.
So it appears that it will be very easy to get disc brakes fitted to the stage 1 front axle at fraction of the cost of any conversion kits :D and a lot cheaper than renewing the drum brake setup.
I have got an old RRC axle which I intend to strip and double check that everything will fit ok before I go and order a load more new parts.
Has anyone done this before?? or am I barking up the wrong tree??
Spen
Mrs Bingham

Post by Mrs Bingham »

Nice idea but I think you are barking up the wrong tree. Nevertheless, I would be very interested to know if it were possible. I guess if anyone’s going to know you will if you have access to both types of axle for comparison.
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Will see what is what, when I get to the front axle. This is something that has been the topic of many a conversation, but I have not had the necessary parts to hand, until now.
The main issue seems to be if the pivot centre of the swivel housing and the cv joint are in the same place. Will have to very carefully measure the dimmentions to establish this.
I will take a series of pics as I go along.
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Rear axle all painted. Just need to finish cleaning and painting all the other 'black' bits :? Then I can re-assemble them all, hopefully in the right order :shock:
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

More black bits ready to be refitted

Rear axle starting to come together. Quite uplifting to be putting something together rarther than taking it appart!!

Should get the axle finished tomorrow :D

Spen
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

More progress on rear axle.

Hubs rebuilt with new bearings, new brake cylinder, new brake shoes and new springs.
I had forgotten what a fiddle it is to get the shoes back on, not so easy with the new springs, scratched alot of the new paint off getting them in place, kind of makes you wonder why you bother to paint the back plates!!
All touched up with some more paint!!
Hopefully the new diff cover plate and the rest of the bits that I ordered will arrive next week.

You never know Alice may be back on all fours before Xmas!!! :D

Then start on the front axle! Never a dull moment!

Spen