Alice to the road!!

Technical questions and answers
Alicerover

Re: Alice to the road!!

Post by Alicerover »

So today Alice gave me a rather nasty suprise!
On coming home for lunch, turning onto my drive (a 1" height difference between the road surface and the drive) there was a very loud bang. At first I thought I had hit something, so I got out to find everything appearing to be ok. So I continued to drive onto my drive but realised that something was very very wrong. Further investigation revealed that BOTH leaves on the passenger side spring had snapped!!!!!! Both a clean break.
As you can imagine not very amused considering that the springs are only 4 years old. Spoke to the supplier, Rocky Mountain, who were a little concerned about the failure, but not sure what they can do at this point (the UK franchise has just changed hands)
I have pointed out that the spring failed going over a very minor bump at low speed, I dread to think what would have happened if I was at speed on a motorway or, as yesterday, towing a trailer load of railway sleepers.
I'll try and put some pics up later.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Hmm bugger :?

Have to say that is one reason I opted to stay with standard springs and not go with parabolics. I just had to replace the top leaf on the far side set but since the wrapper goes round the outside, there was minimal risk of it coming off.

Let us know how the warranty goes...
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Echoing Disco's comment - just reinforces my dislike of parabolics
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Before I bought the springs, I did do quite a bit of reasearch into the pros and conns of multi and parabolic leaf springs. The biggest issue seemed to be the quality of the spring steel being used in both the multi leaf and the parabolic. Most of the reviews on the parabolics recommended using the Rocky Mountain because of the quality, on the Leightweight that I built over 20 years ago I fitted parabolic springs from Britpart. This vehicle has been used almost daily since and has had no problems with the springs.
The topic of springs has been very much discussed on here and other forums and is a personel choice. Having driven series vehicles on either type of spring, I prefer the ride of the parabolic, especially when laiden. However I may end up having a change of view, we'll see.

Below are some pics,

ImageAlice Leaf4 by Spencer, on Flickr[/img]

ImageAlice Leaf3 by Spencer, on Flickr[/img]

ImageAlice Leaf2 by Spencer, on Flickr[/img]

ImageAlice Leaf1 by Spencer, on Flickr[/img]
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Can't see the photos - says they are private (you need to alter the setting on flickr)

As you say, it's a personal choice. I've not bought from them yet, but was thinking of trying these guys next time I need springs:

http://www.jones-springs.co.uk/
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Straightforward assessment of all parabolic makers -
Land-Rover have something like a dozen conventional springs for essentially one common model application (left, right, front rear, light, medium, heavy duty, RHD, LHD…). Parabolic sellers offer two (one front, one rear) to match all that!? Essentially one shoe fits everything or nothing. Somewhat flying in the face of reality, physics... The only difference with Rocky Mountain is that they offer a a second choice for the rear. None of them offer comparison charts with any factory spring (deflection, rebound, oscillation, nominal payload…).
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Update.
Rocky Mountain are looking into my problems, but the UK dealer (franchise has changed hands reciently) hasn't got any stock of springs for at least 4 weeks.
I can not have Alice off the road for that long, so I have purchased a pair from Britpart which have now been fitted so that Alice is back on the road.
So we'll see what RM come back to me with and go from there.
I have changed the settings on the above pics so you should be able to view them.
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Now that's an excellent break.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Very clearly it is work hardened, which a spring should not do. Good luck with the Britpart springs :)
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
CaptainSlow

Post by CaptainSlow »

Wow, thats a worry! As you said, you're lucky you were only bumbling along and not doing 70 :shock:

Its certainly given me food for thought, I've always planned on fitting parabolics - RM ones too - but maybe good old fashioned leafs are the best option after all. Good luck with the claim.
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

So, RM have got back to me and are willing to supply replacement springs as long as I can provide proof of purchase and confirm that everything is standard.
The Britpart springs are working well, no difference to the RM ones, except that the material is thinner, which is interesting. Articulation is just as good as is the ride.
Time will tell if there are more problems down the road.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

So, you'll get the RM spring replacements for when the Sh*tpart springs fail?
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
map1275

Post by map1275 »

I wonder how many owners would still have their receipt four years later? You might expect they could identify their product if not the batch number.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

I wonder how many owners would still have their receipt four years later?
I still have the receipt for my rear springs 20 years later - but I also still have each of the springs still in one piece too.
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

So been a while...again!!
Alice is still going well, couple of minor issues that need to be fixed to get her through the MOT again this year, but nothing serious.
I have news on the spring front which is why I have been a bit quiet of late.
My issues started when the passenger front spring broke in two when turning onto my drive at home. I contacted the manufacturers, Rocky Mountain, who were concerned about my failure, but would not replace the spring (which was subsiquently found to be faulty buy independant testing) if i could not provide proof of purchase. (The UK agent has since changed since I bought my springs so no record there)
In order to get Alice mobile again I threw on a pair of Britpart springs, this leads me to my question on ride heights, as the Britpart springs have given Alice a bit of a nose up attitude. Over time they have settled a bit but Alice still has her nose in the air!!! so just wanted to check how others we sitting for comparison.
So, still feeling that I had not had a satisfactory answer I asked a few more questions to Rocky Mountain about the quality and suitability of thier springs.
Yesterday, to my surprise, a parcel arrives containing two brand new front springs from Rocky Mountain!! Result!
Interestingly they are now handed, the original set were not marked up as handed at all, so I tried them on either side to see of there was any difference, which there appeared not.
I know that suspension design/tuning is a bit of a black art requiring lots of compromise, but it does make me wonder if something has been changed.

Just coming up to 30,000 miles now with no issues with the mods I made to the front axle, or the brakes so all good there. I'll put some more pics of Alice up soon for the record.