swivel housing to axle torque

Technical questions and answers
88 stage1

swivel housing to axle torque

Post by 88 stage1 »

Anyone know torque for the bolt's holding the swivel housing to the axle? Also when i removed the front brake back plates, part no frc3127 which looks like a spacer was fitted on the front of the back plates, after lookin in the parts catalogue it appears to fit behind. which is correct? thanks chris

Post by 5988 »

can you take a pic of this spacer ... im pretty sure I don't have such a thing, and have no recollection of one on any series (or a part no/page in the parts book will do)

Re the bolts ... erm .. Tight
if there is a torque it will be in the workshop manual (see Landroverv8.com for a manual if you don't have one) - Can you even get a torque wrench on them...
88 stage1

Post by 88 stage1 »

part no frc3127 page 1l03, Come to think of it i might struggle to get a torque wrench on all of the bolts, was looking in the workshop manual and that was the only one i couldnt find, tight will do for me!

Post by 5988 »

ah ... one of those post 1980 things ... that would explain why I don't have one

I agree the parts book makes it look like it goes behind ... but the diagram may not be conclusive ... what does the workshop manual show ... otherwise best wait for someone with a later one to answer that
88 stage1

Post by 88 stage1 »

Nothing in the workshop manual!
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Yo mean the webbed ring which uses the same bolts that secure the stub to the swivel?
88 stage1

Post by 88 stage1 »

Yes thats it. started building it up today and it will only fit on the outside!
map1275

Post by map1275 »

That's correct. Usually the back plate's paint work is marked was a result of the webbing.
Davo

Post by Davo »

Easy! Torque is what you can manage with a standard-length spanner - not one of those American-style long ones.

The "spacer" is actually an oil catcher. The parts book shows it backwards. If you look at the stub axle there should be a machined notch. Since the brake backplate goes onto the stub axle, and the oil catcher goes onto the backplate, you can see how if the hub leaks then it will be caught by the catcher and drain through the notch in the stub axle.

Make sure the oil catcher goes the right way round. And it works, too! When my newly-rebuilt front axle leaked oil from the hubs, I caught it early when it leaked out through the notch, and the oil catcher also saved my new brake shoes from being ruined. (After that I just put grease in the wheelbearings instead.)