LT95 Transfer Case High Range Gear Swap Instructions

Technical questions and answers
firemanshort

LT95 Transfer Case High Range Gear Swap Instructions

Post by firemanshort »

All -

I wrote down what I did when I just completed my transfer case gear swap. I think I wrote everything down correctly but there may be an error or omitted step.

I am not sure how I can attach a document to the forum so I have reduced it to a photo. Hopefully, it can still be read.

If there is a forum admin with a better solution then I can send over a PDF version that it a lot cleaner.

-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
db
Site Admin

Post by db »

Sorry it took me so long to get around to uploading it, but the PDF can now be found at:

http://www.stage1v8.org.uk/manuals/Tran ... r_Swap.pdf
flyingkipper

Post by flyingkipper »

Hi,
That's one of the most thoughtfully produced and useful things I have seen posted on an internet forum.

Thank you for sharing this knowledge.
Noel.
Davo

Post by Davo »

Good on you for taking the trouble! I always mean to do something like this, but never have the time . . . because I'm always working on a Land-Rover, ironically.
Zjiep

Re: LT95 Transfer Case High Range Gear Swap Instructions

Post by Zjiep »

thnxs, this will be very helpfull.

Is there anyone who knows what gears give the best result voor cruising the V8 on the highway without having trouble at a trafficlight..
I think there are at least 6 different options: 0.996:1 (26/46theeth) to 1.336:1 (31/410t)
http://www.vislandrovers.nl/extra/revis ... ersnel.php

I can't find what ratio is common used to get the create an "overdrive", or what revs belong to a certain speed. Now its about 3500 revs at 100km/h (65M/h). If i see the list below, than there is a chance that the "longest" gears already are mounted in my 110

Gear Ratio LT95 Models Used

chrz

Roel
Low Range
3.3206 All

High Range
0.996 Australian Spec 110 with 4BD1 Isuzu Diesel
1.174 101FC
1.3362 110

So is there anyone with an 110FC or with the Australian specs who can count the revs?
Roel

---------------------------------------
09-2010: bought my very 1e LR ;)
'83 110 V8 StaWag (LHD) LPG converted
firemanshort

Update

Post by firemanshort »

Hey all... Just another update on the drivability of my swap...

I am pulling about 17mpg on the highway (US Gallons). That is about 21MPG using those British gallons (wine versus ale thing). I am getting 15MPG US around town on short runs to the neighborhood pool, hardware store or grocery store.

I have found that once I got used to the new shift points on the gear box that this set up has done me very well. I have a freshly rebuilt motor with the 4 barrel carb and a slightly taller CROWER camshaft installed so I think I can get away with a bit more than someone with a tired stock 3.5.
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
Kiwistage1V8

Post by Kiwistage1V8 »

Hey, just wondering, when you pulled your intermediate shaft, how did it look, condition wise?

When I put my high range gear set in (I just put in 2nd hand RR ones), the original, the donor, and, my spare LT 95 had horribly worn intermediate shafts where the high range gear sits (of course).

Having hells own job of tracking down a new shaft. Have heard that a LT77 can be modified....?

I just stuck in the shaft that came out of the donor box, will sort it properly once I get hold of a new shaft.

I'm going to chamfer and possibly enlarge slighty the oil galleries in that shaft when I do it all. 3 out of 3 worn, and my stage 1's had done under 100,000km's :shock:
Stop Global Whining.
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

My shafts looked OK. I did not put them on a micrometer or anything but they looked and felt OK.
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
robertstr

Post by robertstr »

Hi Fireman,

Few questions, One what was the range rover tranny model you swiped the gears from? I contacted ashcroft and they quoted me almost 400 bucks for a set of high range gears
that would go to 1.35:1 to 0.9962:1, isnt this about the same as you ended up with and were not totally happy with? Its all a bit greek, but 400 bucks for 2 gears that maybe I can
get in a junkyard seems bit crazy to me. Also I sent you a PM,

Thanks for the awesome PDF as well, i would never even think I could do this without some pics and the steps involved, really nice thing you took the time to do.

Cheers
Just bought x NZ army 109 Stage 1 V8
you cant fix stupid
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

I have no idea what Range Rover my spare LT95 gearbox came from. It was sourced from a pile of parts when I was looking for the overdrive that was originally attached. I think the range you are looking for are Range Rovers from 1970 to 1983 with seriel numbers starting with 35XXXXX. But there were a range of ratios within these trucks and I am not sure what year got what ratio.

I also looked into just buying new gears and was shocked at the high price tag. You can buy whole LT95 gearboxes on eBay all day long for no where near the kind of money the shops want for just a pair of gears. The trick is breaking a big lump into pieces in the UK and shipping the parts you want back to the USA.

I am unaware of any NADA manual transmission Range Rovers that you could source parts locally. You might get lucky and find someone with an imported early D-110 that has pulled the drive train for a modern diesel swap (300Tdi / R380).

I am pretty happy with the gear swap - but if I was king for a day and could magic up the parts I want all for free - I think I would be even more happier with the 1.113:1 ratio instead of the .996:1 that I have. The only reason for this is that I am now dragging my little camper trailer around with me on Land Rover trips.
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA