Trimmers

Technical questions and answers
map1275

Trimmers

Post by map1275 »

Does anyone know or remember who the other UK trim company was that had been advertising in the glossy Land-Rover magazines about a year ago (door cards, seat cover etc.)?

Just tried some of Exmoor's and wasn't impressed.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Try this and see how you go.

In Google, search for

landrover trimmer site:.co.uk

Did you address your concerns with Exmoor?
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Thanks, I will start to filter my way through them.

I've got the name Sams stuck in my head for some reason. What I do remember is they were running full page adds but haven't noticed them since.

Yes, I e-mailed Exmoor last week but haven't heard anything as yet. and don't really expect to. I'm not having a good run of late; dodgy fuel tank from Britpart, Autosparks repeatedly getting looms wrong and now Exmoor being far from what they advertise.

Dear Sir,

I recently purchased two arm rests for my Series III's front doors. Both were your products and as you have no Australian agent, these were in essence a sample order. If satisfied I would have purchased the remainder of the available trim.

However, for a British made product, I was deeply disappointed in what was supplied. So much so that have since thrown the items in the rubbish, as seemed most fitting.

Obvious problems;
- made by different staff and inspected by different QC's. Overall finish was notably different between the two parts. One was missing the barbed clips that secure the vinyl along one edge.
- Galvabond backing panels in place of aluminium.
- pressing differences in the panel, compared with as many different genuine panels I could locate. Not just the overall shape but corner and cut-out variations.
- total lack of prepunched holes. I can accept the minor holes but major holes for the door handles etc. are located at a point where the vinyl is stretched. Therefore making drilling difficult and potentially disastrous. As your pressing is different to every genuine item I could find, creating a cardboard template became pointless.
- rough feel of the carved foam underneath the vinyl. I realise the difficulties and expense of creating a moulded pad but in this case it appears to be a poor compromise.

Acceptable variations:
- use of stretch vinyl in place of the original non stretch material,
- grain variations.
- general curve of the backing panel, as even the genuine items align poorly with the door frames.

I would suggest you might consider providing a repair kit for existing genuine arm rests. Much as MOSS have done for many years for MG-B dash rails etc.

Regards,
Mark Paget.
Jules

Post by Jules »

Sam's Trim were at a show I went to and I was very impressed with the quality and variation of colour schemes that he offered. I get the impression that if you wanted pink and purple spots with a yellow piping he would do it for you!
This is the link:

http://www.sams4x4.co.uk
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Thanks. Obviously it wasn't a dream.

I will give them a try unless some one can come up with anything better.

Post by 5988 »

i dont think they do all the door trim though, think they just do seat ....if they do the other stuff though please let us know ...im needing all the trim as well (and thanks for the info ....I wont be buying from them then - though ive got some of there seats and there fine, not had the other stuff, but thought about it..not now)
sebking

sam's

Post by sebking »

Sam is a she...

And makes nice seats.

I've got them in the front and second rows.
1970 Spitfire MKIII
1981 Laser 1 88643
1982 Stage 1 v8 SW
1992 Laser 2 9101 "Purple Reign"
2000 Laser Pico 4050
2001 Brompton M3L
2010 VW California GP 140 SE
2010 Brompton M6L
2010 Venture Ranger 16 Canoe
2010 Cube Ltd Pro
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

If it were me I would have asked for my money back and offered to return the poorly made items, at their cost of course, rather than throwing them out. I would have then offered to take photographs and post them on as many forums as possible until the agreed to take them back, you know, as an incentive ;)

There are these too:
http://www.defendertrim.co.uk/land-rove ... 281-0.html

Is this also Exmoor? The photo is too small to make out.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Although I agree with you, I've had a $450 Britpart fuel tank that was obvious bin fodder as soon as it came out of the box.

Despite the E.D. of Britpart initially being very apologetic and suggesting they would get it sorted, I new I was in trouble when he stopped responding to e-mails. I wrote to one of the glossy magazines who certainly rattled the Britpart cage. But I think they were too afraid to upset a major advertiser to get them to sort their act out.

Autosparks, despite all their pro Land-Rover advertising, have little L-R knowledge. Did you know that all Stage Ones are SWB! All Series III's have black tape on the looms (even when you specify blue).... The VIN they insist on having for quotes and orders, they do nothing with.
- Engine loom, totally ignored the extra wires I requested. Had to be replaced. I have since noticed one critical wire isn't double insulated and no use of thermal tape at the top part of the loom.
- Chassis, first supplied SWB, replaced with a blue over black taped LWB with a special a non standard plug at the main loom junction...
- I haven't calmed down enough to into the main loom!

So what do reckon I was going to do with two trims from Exmoor?

The other problem of course, is finding a local alternative. Trying to find a trimmer that is competent and willing to listen to what you want. Instead of giving you the usual crap they fob off on everyone else.

Hence my example of what MOSS (USA) used to do. Possibly because of a more discerning or complaining clientele, they usually put far more effort into their products.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

I know what you mean. It is very difficult finding competent trades people these days. I am sick of getting promises and "sure I can do that" only to be told weeks later "ah no, I haven't got round to that yet" which translates as "Tell you the truth, I have no idea what I am doing and this is too hard for me".
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
map1275

Post by map1275 »

What really annoys me is that waving money in their face isn't an arousal either. Though when they finally get around to doing something, they want paying.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Ayup. That's been my experience.

I always ask first "can you do this job" and then "do you want to do this job". Still doesn't work out.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
map1275

Post by map1275 »

I started typing out instructions in point format and handing it in with the job.

Instructions, what instructions... or, the telephone call insisting that I need to come in and explain what I want in person (again).
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

haha yeah and giving scale drawings doesn't seem to work. Had to get a bracket fabricated for the alternator (replacement was a different size but I wanted to use the original mountings and adjuster because they work well). Provided instructions, drawing, discussed and explained only to hear that they were going to do it differently :? Later, their version was not going to work and well, you guessed it, they did what I had wanted in the first place. It worked first time.

Current problem is, well I'll keep stüm until it's finished,...
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
map1275

Post by map1275 »

I've got to the point of Butcher's paper and crayons. Then you need to stand over them...

The next thing I will have to learn to do myself is welding. Then buy all the kit....