Trimmers

Technical questions and answers
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Yeah me too. :evil:

That is the crux of my current problem. I know exactly what is needed and what is possible but in trying to get the message across has meant going right around the circus and back to what I wanted in the first place, again. I needed someone with welding skills.

Anyway, when it's done I'll post pic's up so we can all marvel.

Unfortunately our government has just canned funding for night classes for these kinds of "non-productive" activities.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Bugger, I hope that doesn't catch on in Australia. I still wouldn't mind going back and re-learning a few things.

At present they are still throwing money at pumping out apprentices as quick as possible.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

It is very disappointing. I would much rather have someone show me what it is I am doing wrong when I am learning than make expensive mistakes on my own.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Jules

Post by Jules »

Autosparks, despite all their pro Land-Rover advertis

I'm quite surprised at this. I have spoken to them before and actually found them quite knowledgeable - perhaps I spoke to someone who had a Landie himself and was doing the same as the rest of us!

I'm not a "rivet counter" or a perfectionist, but I have been trying to put the correct washers and parts back in the right place which is slowing down progress, others re telling me "it's a Land Rover", just use anything!

Makes me cross! I want to do a proper job.
map1275

Post by map1275 »

In this case I wasn't expecting a perfect copy. I was hoping it might be better than what I could get locally and don't have the time to do myself.

The engine loom, the just flatly ignored the mods requested. Then quibled, then replaced the loom. As this was the right thing to do, I later ordered the chassis loom.

Once again, that flatly ignored the details as advised and supplied a SWB loom. The excuses started to flourish and it spiralled off from there.

In general, they supply a reasonable standard item. But having to think outside the square (or oval in this case), is beyond them.

So if you order a loom for one of our cars remember:

All of us drive factory SWB Stage Ones (unless you have an extremely rare 109)
All our looms are black
All LH indicator wires are BLUE/Brown
You can't plug into your rear loom anyway, because the plug is different
All but two of your dash globes are capless, don't worry about the two Edison Screw globes because you can't screw them in to the reproduction holders.

What really annoyed me about the main loom was they went four weeks over their maximum quoted time without any notice. If they had been upfront, I would have sent them the correct bulb holders and a roll of Green/red wire. Just so I could end up with the part I wanted.

Post by 5988 »

interesting ....will be reconsidering my choice of wiring suppliers as well as trim then (glad I didn't buy all this stuff a few months ago now)

what were the problems with the fuel tank? i need on of those and was going to get a britpart one (not sure anything else is available)
but might now look into sealing the one ive got
Buckenham

trim

Post by Buckenham »

Hello

I also thought that the Exmoor trim door elbow rest and door card that I recently bought were very poor - vinyl not properly glued coming off round the edges , ally backing bent , crap packaging which was part of the problem , needs screwing on , no holes for the handles . In fact it is basically a cheap DIY finish it of yourself kit without all the bits .

Regards

Buckenham
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Fuel tank; I'll just cut and paste. Otherwise I will start to get angry again.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have purchased one of your products through your suggested Australian outlet (Rovacraft). I wish to express my extreme disgust in regards to the appalling standard to which the part has been made.

The item in question is your equivalent of 599234 fuel tank. In this case the application is for a Stage One V8. The item was purchased in late October 2008 and arrived in early November. I have not been able to locate a batch number or any other specific identifiers.

In order to purchase the part I first contacted yourselves via the Britpart web site. From this enquiry I was redirected to Rovacraft. As the price they quoted was notably cheap, I specifically questioned the retailer as to product quality. I also emphasised that I was quite willing to pay more for a quality part. The somewhat flippant reply was that the product would not be made if it wasn’t quality. Despite having some experience of ‘affordable’ reproduction parts, I couldn’t be bothered to challenge the salesman’s response or logic. Not being able to locate an alternative, I placed an order. Although being a back order, the part did arrive quickly.

Packaging of the part was impressive and far superior to what Land-Rover use. However, upon removal from the box, problems were immediately apparent:
drastically simplified construction (lack of reinforcement pressings etc.),
extremely thin application of paint,
unpainted areas,
poor pipe bends,
lack of bonding agent between tank and mounting plate,
giant bolt for drain point and
minor transit damage, though acceptable considering the distance and number of handlers.

At this point I repackaged the part and began searching for an alternative, new or used. This also explains the passage of time since the purchase date. Eventually relenting to use your product as a stopgap measure, I began its preparation for use:
rust proofing,
enlarging forward mounting holes to their correct size,
filing rear mounting holes, so that the holes in adjoining welded panels actually aligned,
de-burring supply and return lines,
plus fitting the usual new sender unit and sundry fittings.

Today, I have made my third and final unsuccessful attempt to install the tank. This has confirmed an overall misalignment between front and rear mounting points. An excess of approximately 3/8” between where the tank’s holes should be and the actual chassis mounting points. The vehicle’s chassis is the original Land-Rover part, without any repair or damage. Chassis alignment is correct and the vehicle is one owner.

If the fuel tank had been offered as a cheap, repro, mystery brand copy from some former Soviet era factory, then I would accept the consequences. However Britpart advertise something else. Therefore my disappointment with this item is heightened. All my initial apprehension with purchasing a reproduction, major component, has been confirmed. Despite considerable effort on my part to either source the correct item, or best prepare the alternative, I am still without a useable fuel tank.

Yours faithfully,

M.A. Paget.
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Back to "Trimmers";

As per a previous reply, have you let Exmoor know about your thoughts?

If enough people start complaining... However it never seems to have the same impact as throwing the part on the counter and demanding your money back!

So, is the Post Office providing a free service during the current staff holiday period? I can put up with the delay if they will ship a new motor for free.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

You know I usually buy second hand unless they are parts that wear or for safety sake need to be new.

I have a guy I use from time to time for various bits. Try contacting him about a secondhand tank. Bought one from him when I put a hole through mine and it was in pretty good nick (no rust inside or out, all fittings present except the sender which I used from the old one anyway). It was ex-army.

Will PM you the details.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Jules

Post by Jules »

I'm afraid I and some of my friends now refer to brittparts as s**tparts because so many of them do not fit!
My son bought a water pump from them and later found that the casting did not have a hole in it for the water passage.
I always get stuff from Bearmach now or Dunsfold Land Rovers for the rarer parts.
Is there a Bearmach outlet in Aus?
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Most of the UK suppliers are not represented in Australia.

Even the Britpart agent (Rovacraft) is openly disinterested unless you are driving the latest L-R product. I suspect that even then, there is hardly Britpart item offered or sold.

Can't say that i have ever had a problem with Bearmach. They do seem to make an effort to supply OEM parts precisely to the letter.

At present I am buying most of my S/S fittings from England. They are all made in the same Taiwanese factory but the Australian importer can't be bothered with half the range. Imperial is too frequently a drama and don't dare ask for Pozidrive.

Post by 5988 »

um...another part to avoid then , better look at repairing mine, or sourcing a better second hand one then
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Keep an eye out for the 6 cyl tank. The modification for fuel return is very straightforward.

Post by 5988 »

map1275 wrote:Keep an eye out for the 6 cyl tank. The modification for fuel return is very straightforward.
thanks ....
now to find a decent trimmers and wiring supplier ...should be a bt easier over here than for you out there