Fitting of fuel tank?

Technical questions and answers
olliebarrett_92

Fitting of fuel tank?

Post by olliebarrett_92 »

Ok, bought a brand new fuel tank :)
anyone fitted one before and got any tips?
is it hard to do?!

i think i have multiple holes now, which are growing in size on the old one, so time for a change :)

ollie :)
Now on the road, and loving it!!!! =)
map1275

Post by map1275 »

If it's a mystery brand tank, then pray and be prepared to walk away when it gets too much.

If it's a tank that fits, then buy all new fittings. Otherwise the job is straightforward. There's just a bit of a jiggle to lift the tank into place. A hi-lift floor jack would be nice.

Off the track a little; the crap copy Britpart tank I bought proved impossible to fit. Final hole alignment was about 3/8" out. After getting very angry I wrote a nasty letter to Britpart. They did actually reply and have suggested they will investigate their supplier and arrange for a replacement. That was over two weeks ago and I haven't heard anything yet. But I can wait a little longer.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

P 153 of Series 3 repair Operation Manual

http://www.scribd.com/doc/9386496/Serie ... ion-Manual
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
olliebarrett_92

Post by olliebarrett_92 »

Oh no, i have got a Britpart replacement?! is this not going to be an easy replacement?!
I looked at it this morning and i was thinking it was going to be quit straightforward?!

agh im worried?!
:shock: :?
Now on the road, and loving it!!!! =)
Mrs Bingham

Post by Mrs Bingham »

I’m not sure how many actual manufactures there are out there but most of the supply chains seem to supply Britpart patterns but it’s anyone’s guess who actually presses them out. I’ve heard conflicting comments on the pattern tanks with regard to quality, but in design they are simple enough so it would surprise me if they fit like a glove on a foot! I think you should spend a little time satisfying yourself that you have the right tank for the V8 (part No 599234) as it resembles the diesel one as apposed to the mainstream petrol ones. I also concur with map1275 that you must use new fittings including a new sender seal if you plan on using the old sender unit. A new genuine tank is £400 ish so the pattern one makes a lot of economical sense so it’s probably worth a bit of grief to get it to fit. Either way it’ll be better than the sieve you currently have. While you have the tank out you should clean and paint the chassis in that area while you can get at it.

Don't be worried; so seem capable enough. Just think of the fuel you'll save. It's much better to listen to that fantastic V8 whilst burning the fuel as apposed to dumping it on floor!!!

Regards Mark…
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)
Matt Braddish

Post by Matt Braddish »

Ollie,

I did this a few months ago, its not too difficult and the one I put on was as yours is, a Britpart item. Firstly drain off the old tank, but beware, they hold a fair bit of fuel (don't rely on the gauge) and have a large recepticle!
Give your new tank a couple of coats of Hammerite to keep the rust at bay, although if it is anything like mine, it was more rotten on the inside.

Your tank is held on by four bolts, make sure you have disconnecred the sender and return and filler pipes, then 'simply'............. now there's a great word when they're rusted to f**k! Undo the bolts and lower the tank on a trolley jack or similar.
Fitting the new one is the reverse of this, however if like mine, you tank is the same as that of the 6 cyl, then you will need to drill holes to fit the return and also order a ring to lock down the sender unit as my old sender was held down by about 6 screws.

Its also worth getting to the chassis whilst the old tank is off and sorting out any repairs and a repaint if needed.

Hope this helps,

Matt.
Matt B
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Britpart don't make anything. They are simply an intermediary and slap their name on anything. Possibly they should be a bit more careful on what they apply their name to.

You may well have got a tank from the other supplier but I certainly didn't.

Britpart
The Grove,
Craven Arms,
Shropshire, SY7 8DA.,
England.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have purchased one of your products through your suggested Australian outlet (Rovacraft). I wish to express my extreme disgust in regards to the appalling standard to which the part has been made.

The item in question is your equivalent of 599234 fuel tank. In this case the application is for a Stage One V8. The item was purchased in late October 2008 and arrived in early November. I have not been able to locate a batch number or any other specific identifiers.

In order to purchase the part I first contacted yourselves via the Britpart web site. From this enquiry I was redirected to Rovacraft. As the price they quoted was notably cheap, I specifically questioned the retailer as to product quality. I also emphasised that I was quite willing to pay more for a quality part. The somewhat flippant reply was that the product would not be made if it wasn’t quality. Despite having some experience of ‘affordable’ reproduction parts, I couldn’t be bothered to challenge the salesman’s response or logic. Not being able to locate an alternative, I placed an order. Although being a back order, the part did arrive quickly.

Packaging of the part was impressive and far superior to what Land-Rover use. However, upon removal from the box, problems were immediately apparent:
drastically simplified construction (lack of reinforcement pressings etc.),
extremely thin application of paint,
unpainted areas,
poor pipe bends,
lack of bonding agent between tank and mounting plate,
giant bolt for drain point and
minor transit damage, though acceptable considering the distance and number of handlers.

At this point I repackaged the part and began searching for an alternative, new or used. This also explains the passage of time since the purchase date. Eventually relenting to use your product as a stopgap measure, I began its preparation for use:
rust proofing,
enlarging forward mounting holes to their correct size,
filing rear mounting holes, so that the holes in adjoining welded panels actually aligned,
de-burring supply and return lines,
plus fitting the usual new sender unit and sundry fittings.

Today, I have made my third and final unsuccessful attempt to install the tank. This has confirmed an overall misalignment between front and rear mounting points. An excess of approximately 3/8” between where the tank’s holes should be and the actual chassis mounting points. The vehicle’s chassis is the original Land-Rover part, without any repair or damage. Chassis alignment is correct and the vehicle is one owner.

If the fuel tank had been offered as a cheap, repro, mystery brand copy from some former Soviet era factory, then I would accept the consequences. However Britpart advertise something else. Therefore my disappointment with this item is heightened. All my initial apprehension with purchasing a reproduction, major component, has been confirmed. Despite considerable effort on my part to either source the correct item, or best prepare the alternative, I am still without a useable fuel tank.

Yours faithfully,
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Let us know how you get on. :?
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
DPuckey

Post by DPuckey »

Came up with a solution for the crappy replacement tanks.

Running my wagon on LPG I rarely have a full petrol tmak, hence I get rust inside, this comes through on seams and the whole thing eventually leaks after a few years.

Got fed up with this, have bought a new copy tank, then given it the POR 15 treatment from Frost Auto Restorations normally used for rusty vintage tanks. This effectively plasticises the whole tank.

Decided to do it to a new tank as should get a better long term result than doing ti to the leaky one (although that's what the stuff is designed for).

Hopefully this job is now done once and for all.
Bsfaxle

Post by Bsfaxle »

Drain the sediment out of your tank every now and again . I put a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of methanol to a full tank every six months to get rid of any water. Methylated spirits does the same thing. That and keeping the tank topped up keeps the corrosion down. Torch inspection shows reasonable amounts of corrosion. I believe the tank is original with 7 of those mine.
landiman

Post by landiman »

I've had the same problems with my S***PART tank, It was one hell of a lot of trouble to fit. I also fitted a new sender unit thinking it would save me having to change it later..... What a joke, after two units ( the first was broken) the full gauge still reads half full all the time, I've taken it out several times and it works lovely out of the tank... i put it back in and it reads half full again. :evil:
I've given up on it now cos i've just installed an LPG system :wink:
http://s850.photobucket.com/albums/ab66 ... an/Series/
Series 3 stage 1 109( now off to usa)