speedo worm drive

Technical questions and answers
mvdlans

speedo worm drive

Post by mvdlans »

Hy,

I'm having difficulties with my speedometer, it's far away of accurate.

It must be the speedo worm drive cause I've changed the cable for a new one, opend the speedometer wich is fine, leaves the worm drive. Everything else is standard, axles, 7.50x16 tyres.

Oh, and I have the right speedometer (nr ends with 860 wich is the one that goes until 150 km/h).

I have a 22 teeth worm drive in the transfer box. Is this the right number for a stage 1?

I've looked on lrseries for a replacement but nearly nobody knows the partnr frc2284. Is the number changed or so?

Thanks in advance,

Michiel
map1275

Post by map1275 »

In what way is the speedo not accurate?

The cable or drive gears would have been the last things I would be looking at.
mvdlans

Post by mvdlans »

The speedo says I'm driving 90 km/h but in fact I'm driving a 110 km/h....

Also the tachometer is not right. On a trip about 125 km I miss around 30 kilometers....

Since the tachometer is driven bij the cable and that one is ok so I concluded it could only be the worm gear.
map1275

Post by map1275 »

You may well have simple speedometer error. This normally increases with speed but if excessive requires the speedo to be removed and repaired.

Unless the gearbox has been replaced, I wouldn't be expecting either the drive on the output shaft nor the drive pinion to be at fault.
I'd be more worried (and checking) that the speedometer is correct (not swapped) and whether it's working properly. Either by Rover part number or SNT code on the face, if this is correct I would send the gauge of for repair.
mvdlans

Post by mvdlans »

The speedo gauge is the original one for the v8 export (marked with 860 on the gauge).

And when I opend the gauge you can see that the speedo is mechanical. As far as I can see you can't callibrate the tachometer. You can callibrate the gauge needle but since the difference in distance and speed on the gauge is quite the same I expect that there's a faulty worm drive or something and nothing wrong with the gauge. From the inside everything is clee and works.

If I change the worm drive and nothing gets better I'll send the gauge of for repair. But since a worm drive is much cheaper I'd like to test this sollution first.

Cheers,

Michiel
sebking

speedo

Post by sebking »

There's a drive on ebay at the moment if you need one - from the orphanage I think.

http://www.speedograph-richfield.com/ may have some ideas and are the boys to recalibrate.
1970 Spitfire MKIII
1981 Laser 1 88643
1982 Stage 1 v8 SW
1992 Laser 2 9101 "Purple Reign"
2000 Laser Pico 4050
2001 Brompton M3L
2010 VW California GP 140 SE
2010 Brompton M6L
2010 Venture Ranger 16 Canoe
2010 Cube Ltd Pro
stephen

speedo

Post by stephen »

Just to break in here on speed!!! :shock: if I put a LT77 in my stage1 mi going what speedo says???
map1275

Post by map1275 »

I'd be making sure it has the same drive gears for the equivalent 5 speed 110 with 7.50 x 16" tyres. But I am assuming that 110 uses the same calibration for the speedo and didn't change speedometre internals.

As the prophet Benny Hill said; when you assume...

Of course the calibration question is one I always ask when examining for modification plates. Strangely, it's usually the fail point for most conversions.
Davo

Post by Davo »

Have a look at this thread: http://www.stage1v8.org.uk/phpBB2/viewt ... 0&start=15
just down the Technical page a bit, where we discussed this earlier.

I just checked a speedo pinion from a Rangie gearbox, and it has 22 teeth. The Stage I pinion has 20, so I think that's your problem. Range Rover gearboxes are somtimes put into a Stage I without all the right parts being changed over.

You also have to have the proper steel worm gear to match the pinion.
mvdlans

Post by mvdlans »

Thx Davo,

I've red the former post but couldn't find a clear answer in it. That's wy I re-posted the subject.

Do you know if there are other differences between a stage1 and rangie gearbox? I assume that there's a number on the gearbox wich can tell you what kind it is?
Greetz,

Michiel
Larosto

Post by Larosto »

Hi,

I did a gearbox swap. I got a gear box from a RR and put it into my Stage One. My Speedometer shows miles and km. With the RR gearbox, my Speedo shows much less km/H than with Stage One Gearbox. I tested it with another car, and when my speedo shows that I`m runnig 50 miles, I`m realy running nearly 100 km/h. So, I know that my speedo shows about half the speed I`m realy going. The reason is the RR gearbox. Perhaps I will correct it anytime by changing the Wormdrive, but perhaps I`ll let it as it is...

Horst
mvdlans

problem solved

Post by mvdlans »

Hy Horst,

Thanks for the reply. I found a good Dutch site which explains the different gearboxnumbers very well; http://www.vislandrovers.nl/extra/revis ... nel.php#v7

So I found out I have a rangie gearbox underneath... I'll have to change the worm wheel gear in the gearbox as well to get an accurate reading.

Anyway, I know now where the problems are.

Thanks for all your help guys,

Michiel
Geoff

speedo worm gear

Post by Geoff »

I wonder if anyone can help with any of the following questions:-

1/ Is there any significant difference between the LT95 gearbox originally fitted to 90, 110 and 130 3.5 V8s between 1983 and 1985 and whose serial number stamped on the rear of the transfer case begins 13C and the LT95 fitted to Stage 1s whose number begins either 881 (1978 to 1983) or 12C (1984 to 1985), in particular (but not limited to) the speedometer worm (to be clear, that's the worm gear on the rear output shaft, NOT the speedo pinion)?

2/ Am I right in thinking that any difference in the ratios in the gears in the main gearbox or transfer box will not affect the speedometer, and that only a difference in the speedo worm gear will do that? (No one on here seems to have any technical data on the worm gears, that query having been raised before, and I can't find any online or in the manuals or parts books)

3/ The part number for the 109 V8 speedo worm is FRC2283. Anyone know the part number for the worm fitted to the LT95s with serial number beginning 13C (see above) or if indeed it is the same?

4/ I can't find a parts book online for the early 90 and 110 from 1983 to 1986. Does anyone have a link? (This would be useful information because this wouldn't be the first time I have found replacement parts on my Stage 1s from these later vehicles)

5/ Has anyone else got or come across an LT95 with a serial number beginning 17C (yes, that's 17C NOT 12C)? If so, have you any idea what it is?

I am relying on the accuracy of the Dutch site mentioned in the post above for the information about serial numbers in these questions (but it makes no mention at all of an LT95 beginning 17C, and I am also wondering whether any 13C LT95s may in fact have been fitted to Stage 1s at the factory). This post is long enough so I won't go into any detail about why I am asking the questions except to say that, before spending money on replacing/repairing a speedometer, I am first trying to make absolutely sure the problem doesn't lie elsewhere (the problem is with the 13C vehicle - the query about my 17C is purely out of curiosity), so any help would be greatly appreciated.
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
disco2hse

Re: speedo worm drive

Post by disco2hse »

OK, here's the succinct answer.

Get the speedo calibrated by a Smiths repair technician. If you do this, then the number on it is irrelevant because it will be painted out and the unit will be calibrated for your specific requirements.

You will be asked for the wheel diameter and the actual ratio (How many turns and part turns of a wheel to one turn of the speedo cable). That will mean pulling the cable off the back of the speedo and attaching a paperclip to the spigot (or whatever its called) to act as a clear indicator pointer.

It is most likely that the magnets need adjusting and that can only be achieved with the right equipment.

It will be a whole lot less painful and cheaper than pulling the vehicle apart and replacing gearboxes and assorted components.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Thanks for replying disco. Yes, Speedograph Richfield in Nottingham are not far from me and they can either repair my speedometer to its original spec or recalibrate it to my spec, whichever's necessary. But I do like to know how things work and, when not working, why - it's an approach I've long since abandoned when dealing with computers but I still cling to the idea (illusion?) when it comes to my Land-Rovers - it's part of their appeal. I have found from the 90 & 110 Workshop Manual that the V8 90 & 110 LT95s have the same gear ratios as the Stage 1 (albeit they are given to one or two more decimal points than in the 109 V8 books). No mention of the speedo worm gear of course. (Before anyone mentions it, I do know that the rear axle ratio is also relevant) I suppose the next thing to do is to carry out Richfield's recalibration exercise and see if the speedo needs calibrating to its original spec or otherwise - if the former, then purely the speedo must be the cause of the problem - I've already tried another '1376' speedo but with no guarantee that it was any more accurate, and in fact it was slightly worse, and so inconclusive as to the cause (cable and pinion already replaced as well, with new)
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs