Swivel Problem

Technical questions and answers

Swivel Problem

Post by 5988 »

Having a problem trying to rebuild the front axle for my S3
Have fitted new rialko bushes and bottom bearings-
when fitting the housing back on to get the correct pre-load alot of shims are needed (in excess of 5mm of shims) -seems wrong to me
(in this pic there is already a very thick shim at the bottom and the swivel is locked solid there)
Comparing the new swivelpins to the old ones the new ones are about 5mm longer (and also have a narrower section to go through the bush-so i cant refit the old ones)
The new ones are the same length as the old ones with the thrust washer (so omitting the thrust washer will get rid of the excess shims)...but
the bushes fitted originaly did have thrust washers (I though all rialkos had thrust washers ??? )
Old pin is same diameter all the way down, new one stepped
Ifi have the thrust washer the step in the pin where the diameter changes on the pin is visible
without the thrust washer this step sits on the top edge of the bush-is this meant to do the job of the thrust washer instead?
with thrust washer fitted to bush
Without thrust washer

so it would seem that the step in diameter does the job-but that little step on the edge of the bush replacing the thrust washer doesnt seem a good idea to me

Also these bushes seem to sit much further out of the housing than the old ones -can someone with a se parts book check if the V8 has the same bushes as a normal series?

:stars Help :bow

y hanes manual suggests only early set ups had thrust washere-doesnt say when early is
but the ones i took of did. the only way i can see the ones ive got working is if the thrust washer is omitted as the pin is longer than the original by the length of the thrust washer...but metal-metal contact from pin to bush doesnt seem right

Post by 5988 »

sorted....sort of
V8's have different bushes and pins...so that was £30 wasted
but i cant find anyone who stocks the V8 bushes...anyone know a source
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Hi
L.R.Series stock the pin, part number FRC1942 and the railko which is where you will get problems sourcing is FRC1930 - STAGE 1 V8 RAILKO BUSH which is out of stock.Try Craddocks and LEGs Transmissions.
Tel
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Beaten to it but yes, Stage One uses a unique bush and pin.

If you can still find genuine then buy extras. I really doubt they are going to be around for much longer.

There is a mystery brand reproduction, which appears OK but I haven't seen any long term reports.
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

LR Series is currently getting small batches of both pin and bush produced.I did read somewhere that the Disco pin can be modofied slightly to fit.
Tel
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County

Post by 5988 »

LR sereis dont list the bush at the moment
for anyone else who may be needing these

Cheapest pins i can find are from P.A Blanchards-£12.5
And only bushes i can find are from Pegasus parts-£25

:shock:
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

could you not get the pins you bought machined down. Any decent workshop with a lathe and a 4 jaw chuck should be able to do this.