Bumper wanted

Your adverts or pointers to other adverts, Ebay, recommended suppliers etc.
Mik

Re: Bumper wanted

Post by Mik »

I know it's an old thread - but does anyone know for certain if the 564704 bumper will fit with the distance plates ?
Michael
1965 109 FC SIIA
1982 109 V8 SIII CSW Stage One
1982 109 V8 SIII HCPU Stage One
1990 RRC Vogue SE
map1275

Post by map1275 »

The earlier bumper has mounting brackets as part of the bumper. The later unit requires the four plates. I do wonder if the book has the numbers/dates around the wrong way.
Mik

Post by Mik »

Yes, that's exactly what I thought
Michael
1965 109 FC SIIA
1990 RRC Vogue SE
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Mik wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:59 am I know it's an old thread - but does anyone know for certain if the 564704 bumper will fit with the distance plates ?
As with a 110 bumper, I think it's not so much 'will fit' as 'can be made to fit', because the lower distance plates are angled, as are the lower fixing plates welded to the (correct) bumper itself - at exactly the same angle. My limestone Stage 1 had a 110 bumper fitted when I bought it. I'm not sure if they bent the lower fixing plates on the bumper before fitting to meet the distance plates or if they just bent as the two plates were bolted together - probably the latter as they used longer bolts, presumably to get the nuts on and started when the plates didn't meet closely. With the ordinary Series 3 bumper 564704 's longer welded fixing plates, I would have thought the bumper would be very far forward if you also try to use the Stage 1 distance plates.

Reading through this old thread, and having now replaced my 110 bumper with a correct Stage 1 bumper, I can now answer one of my own earlier questions about differences between the Stage 1 bumper/s and those for a 110 or 90 - the latter are slightly wider, no doubt to correspond to the extra width of those vehicles created by the plastic wheel arch eyebrows. The correct bumper definitely looks better on the Stage 1! I've had to replace 110 bumpers on both my vehicles, both bodged jobs, and both look immensely better for it :)

ImageUntitled by Geoff172, on Flickr
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Early 110 uses the late Service III bumper - with crank hole. The actual 110 bumper is no crank hole. Defender changes to painted.
For the four plate mounting system, upper and lower plates are different, incorporating the kink.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

I stand corrected. I meant Defender bumper. Both the bumpers I replaced were painted Defender bumpers.
Mik

Post by Mik »

Please ignore the "fancy" bumper :) - but shouldn't these bolts be exposed - and not covered but the front panel ? (I don't have the CSW close by so can't check how it looks on that)
Copy of B1.jpg
Copy of B1.jpg (84.58 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
Copy of B2.jpg
Copy of B2.jpg (110.59 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
Michael
1965 109 FC SIIA
1990 RRC Vogue SE
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Imagenew radiator in by Geoff172, on Flickr

Picture taken before I fitted a proper galvanised Stage 1 bumper with the correct brackets.

Are those holes on your bumper for the built-in machine guns (007 style!)? I wouldn't mind some of those! :)
Mik

Post by Mik »

Nice front :) - so are those brackets fitted to the front set of bolts or the rear set ? - looks like I might be missing something.. - or maybe hidden under the fancy bumper. Do you have a template for those bracket - can't seem to find them anywhere
Michael
1965 109 FC SIIA
1990 RRC Vogue SE
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

The only brackets I have are fitted to my vehicles. Can't find any more now, and I am looking for some as I have more genuine Stage 1 bumpers. Should be easy enough to make if you have the necessary skills and equipment, which I don't. I have suggested it to v8alligator on here (Design & Development Engineering Ltd.) - without any response.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2060&start=30
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Sorry - I now realise that pic and my post may be a bit confusing - although not a genuine Stage 1 bumper in that pic, it is fitted with the brackets - hence two sets of bolts in the pic - a PO painted the galv brackets black to match their horrid bumper. It was a 90/110 bumper (not an ordinary Series 3 bumper - with the longer bracket part of the bumper) and hence slightly too wide for the vehicle. My first Stage 1 was also originally fitted with such a bumper - worse - without the separate brackets, and so way too close to the bodywork, and was actually cut to fit, so I couldn't even sell it and it went to the tip years ago.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Better pictures:

Mik

Post by Mik »

Thank you for those pics Geoff ! The "late" S3 bumper should be the same - distance wise - I asked both brit-Car, Paddocks and not least PA Blanchard. So for now I have to settle for this std S3 - the number plate will cover up the useless starter handle hole.

So when fitting D rings - they're actually bolted directly to the bumper and brackets - not the chassis itself ?

Are you selling your Stage One bumpers? - although I assume the shipping to Denmark would be steep :)
Copy of B3.jpg
Copy of B3.jpg (146.85 KiB) Viewed 4511 times
Michael
1965 109 FC SIIA
1990 RRC Vogue SE
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

The useless starter handle hole was nevertheless still present as standard on the Stage 1 bumper in spite of being completely unnecessary because it didn't line up with the higher starter dog - probably something to do with using the same standard stock of basic bumper before different brackets were welded on. The advantage of the specific Stage 1 bumper with their correct brackets is precisely that you don't need to access those bolts half hidden under the front panel to remove or replace the bumper.

Yes, the common D rings I have are bolted to the front holes of the brackets and the bumpers - I had to drill the holes in one of the bumpers. One of the two spare bumpers I have has holes already drilled - they're NOS or new take-off. I'm not absolutely sure there isn't a different design of D ring with a longer base that might bolt to the back holes of the brackets and chassis - I seem to recall seeing some sometime that looked different, but not sure.

I'm not actively trying to sell the spare bumpers although, barring accidents, it's unlikely I'll ever use them myself. The bumper on my limestone vehicle is a bit tatty and was rescued from a farmyard cheaply from an ebay seller who had no idea what it was, but I'm happy with it and unlikely to replace it with either of the smarter new ones. I'm also still sort of looking for a Stage 1 pickup but, with prices going seemingly ever upwards, increasingly unlikely to find what I'm looking for, and I'm not getting any younger. But neither of my present vehicles came with their original bumpers, so I have the bumper and I can dream ... :)
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

D rings were a pretty common standard fitting on new Stage Ones. I've a number of Rover press photos from the time that show clearly if you blow them up that the rings were fitted as mine are described above. Here's the best such press photo I could find quickly online:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/sites/autocar ... k=kxqb0wa6