'Scrap' and spare axle parts wanted.

Your adverts or pointers to other adverts, Ebay, recommended suppliers etc.
skittles

'Scrap' and spare axle parts wanted.

Post by skittles »

Hi everybody.

I just need a few more spares to build up an axle for my 109V8.

In the spirit of the excellent post from Spencer re: fitting disc brakes, as well as some great advice from the same, I'm going to assemble it from as many generic Series and Coiler parts as possible - machined as necessary. Have spent two days pouring over the parts catalogues and have it all sussed now with the exception of one or two bits. As such I would be very grateful if I could purchase a few random bits.

I'm hoping that the axle casing may be a left-over from a scavenged axle and that the rest will be leftovers from swivel overhauls - not too concerned about condition as long as they are fit to measure and draw up. I'll compare them to those currently available and see where a part can be machined to suit (this isn't just to get a suitable axle, its also to guarantee parts availability i the future - a rationalised axle if you will (much like LR did with their 4-cyl SWB and LWB Series axles in 1980). I will of course post a thread with pictures/diagrams and as much detail as possible.

The bits I need for measurement only are:

*One or a pair of swivel pins (part number FRC1942 - aware that Pegasus are making these if I get stuck)
*One or a pair of Stub axles - either the early FRC3100 or the later (1980-onwards) FRC3917
*One or a pair of oil seal retainers (part number FRC2552) - it looks like this:
http://s100.photobucket.com/user/Auntik ... r.jpg.html

The parts I need to buy outright to use are:

*A front axle bare casing (part number FRC3370) - I'm aware that a Rover axle is virtually identical, however I understand that the diff on a 109V8 is angled upwards - to do this I would guess that the spring perches are rotated around the casing a little and would also guess that the stub flanges on the casing are drilled at a different rotation in order to maintain the castor angle. Either way, I'd prefer to use the genuine case and have a bare rover case to which I can compare and write-up a comparison - with a bot of work a Rover axle could be adapted, but that would be a last resort as the filling/redrilling of the flanges (or cut-off and reweld) would be a professional job. Spring perches wouldn't be a problem however.
*A pair of steering arms which bolt to the bottom of the swivel housing (part numbers FRC1938 and FRC1939).

*Also a front prop. there is one earmarked somewhere, but if it doesn't turn then up a complete one would be lovely.

Oh, I'm in the UK. Near Manchester - so could drive to collect locally or would of course be happy to pay for a courier to deliver if you'd be willing to pop them in a box.

Many thanks indeed :D
skittles

Re: 'Scrap' and spare axle parts wanted.

Post by skittles »

I'm delighted to say I'm now sorted for all these parts now - two part-complete Stage 1 axles, a few new parts and a few bits off this forum have left me with enough parts to build a 1980-spec front axle. Not quite the right year, but close enough for my rebuild.

Still looking for a couple of bits, please see my other post viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1941