Bumper

Your adverts or pointers to other adverts, Ebay, recommended suppliers etc.
nrv1

Bumper

Post by nrv1 »

I am looking for a stage 1 bumper in good condition.South east England ideally.
Cheers
Mrs Bingham

Re: Bumper

Post by Mrs Bingham »

There is some debate on whether there are two types of bumper for the Stage1; either with separate mounting brackets or with integral ones. Rumour has it that the latter is the later type but I would be interested to know if the former is a regular Series bumper?
Mines fitted with the integral bracket type but I did pick up a genuine LR NOS supposedly “Stage1” bumper only to find out much later that it requires the additional brackets which I don’t have :roll:
I’m not prepared to sell it but while the brackets remain illusive to me I would be willing to swap it for an integral bracket type providing it is undrilled and straight :wink:
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Both my Stage 1s (1981 models) have the type of bumper that require the separate mounting pieces; having also owned an ordinary Series 3 with, I am fairly certain, its original bumper, I can definitely say they are not the same. I have never seen the 'integral bracket type' Stage 1 bumper. Photo?
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
Mrs Bingham

Post by Mrs Bingham »

Here's the previous debate including pictures - I see you contributed there as well :)

http://www.stage1v8.org.uk/phpBB3/viewt ... f=6&t=1635

My guess is that models up to 1980/81 (when many changes came in to effect) have the separate brackets and the later models had the integral type. Any Y reg owners out there with integral bumper brackets or am I the only one?
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Ah, yes - thanks for reminding me - blame the 'Oldtimer's'. Can't see that the new type were much of an improvement really. You still looking for the mounting brackets then?
Mrs Bingham

Post by Mrs Bingham »

Here's an early Stage 1 V8 bumper - worth grabbing. I arranged my own courier when I bought mine which was £18.00 from memory

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-rover-st ... 6653012%26
nrv1

Post by nrv1 »

Thanks for the tip off.Will follow up.
Robstal110

Post by Robstal110 »

I may have a stage one bumper but will need to check (got a donor vehicle with most bits in the back for a s1 hcpu I intend on rebuilding) but won't need the bumper, alternatively I also have one for a 1983 s3 so will compare the difference.

I'm not far away being in Southampton!

Drop me a pm with your email and I will get back to you
Regards
Rob
janwijbrand

Post by janwijbrand »

Mrs Bingham wrote:My guess is that models up to 1980/81 (when many changes came in to effect) have the separate brackets and the later models had the integral type. Any Y reg owners out there with integral bumper brackets or am I the only one?
Is this what you mean?

My front bumper used to be mounted like so (note the extension-brackets that really gave me no confidence at all)

My suspicions this was not the "original" mounting was confirmed by another Stage-1 owner on one of the Dutch forums. He made photographs of his bumper-mounts where the towing eyes have a much longer base plate. I was able to source a pair of these towing eyes and was able to mount the bumper in a much neater manner:

HTH
Jan-Wijbrand
109"3.5V8 'Stage One', 1981 | Volvo 245 'Super Polar', 1992
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Yes that last photo does look very neat. But as to the first two, with the separate mounting brackets, I would say the bottom bracket has been fitted upside down. Also, the long bolts are only really necessary where they have to go through the chassis rails, and I think those two you can see in the photo would be better, and more securely, replaced by four separate shorter bolts and nuts.
janwijbrand

Post by janwijbrand »

Geoff wrote:Yes that last photo does look very neat. But as to the first two, with the separate mounting brackets, I would say the bottom bracket has been fitted upside down. Also, the long bolts are only really necessary where they have to go through the chassis rails, and I think those two you can see in the photo would be better, and more securely, replaced by four separate shorter bolts and nuts.
In addition: it is not clear from the last photo, but the front-most bolts now indeed are short ones and only go through the top of the bumper (I had to drill new holes for that obviously).
Jan-Wijbrand
109"3.5V8 'Stage One', 1981 | Volvo 245 'Super Polar', 1992
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Proper Stage 1s have bumpers with separate fixing plates. I have 2 Stage 1 bumpers here in Cornwall with 1 pair of plates.
Piccys later
Tel
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
nrv1

Post by nrv1 »

Well going back to my original question does anyone have a stage 1 bumper for sale ?
In addition I need to source the top
metal retaining bracket for the bonnet spare wheel carrier