Any US 109 owners on here?

Your adverts or pointers to other adverts, Ebay, recommended suppliers etc.
robertstr

Any US 109 owners on here?

Post by robertstr »

I just bought an x NZ army on ebay, will be here in thirty days or so, but wanted to connect with an other Stateside owners that might be lurking?

Buler......
Killer forum, really some nice helpful people....support group?...

Cheers........ :lol:
Just bought x NZ army 109 Stage 1 V8
you cant fix stupid
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

There are not many Stage Ones in the US.

I have mine in VA. 3 door soft top

There was one for sale in Pennsylvannia a few months back - not sure of its current status - 5 door

There is one in Massachussetts that is a 5 door and may be off the road at the moment. The owner and his father have more than a few Rover related rpojects they cycle through.

There is one in Alaska, too.

I am sure there are a dozen or so more that are lurking in the non-internet illuminated places but I have never seen another one at any of the East Coast Rallys.

We are truly a rare beast here. Now that folks can get an oil burning coiler - the demand for cart sprung V8's is pretty low, too.
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
robertstr

???

Post by robertstr »

K whats a oil burning coiler?...just have to get the lingo, and fast!
you cant fix stupid
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

"Oil Burner" = Diesel motor

"Coiler", "Bouncy", "Boinger", "Slinky" = any Land Rover with coil springs instead of leaf springs

"Cart Springs" = leaf springs

Basically these 'derogatory' terms are a thin veil to hide our penis envy of the newer trucks. ;)

Translatation: Now that Defenders with Tdi diesel motors are available for legal import, they are more desireable than the primitive leaf sprung Stage One's with the thirsty V8 gasoline engines.
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
robertstr

k, got it

Post by robertstr »

lol

Had no idea people wanted the posh version so much. Would have thought they would have gone Range Rover at that point.

Hay, have odd question....

I spent ten years sailing with my family with a Mercedes Diesel onboard. Engine had a lot of parts under the category of UNobtanium. To try to keep the cost of ownership down, I was trying to get a list of those exotic hard to find parts and start buying them slowly. Always better than waiting for that o shit moment.

What would you recommend I start looking for now?

I saw that awesome gear upgrade pdf you did. Pretty sure those parts are first on my list. I will use the car as a daily commuter..and gas is getting to 4 bucks now, so have to think it out a bit. May add hydrogen boaster as well, see how kind time is to me.

Cheers and thanks for the info
you cant fix stupid
andersnd

Add another US Stage 1 Owner to the list

Post by andersnd »

Gents-

I am currently expat in the Netherlands and have purchased a 3 door Stage 1 here which I'll be bringing home with me this summer. I have a great resource here in the Hague who is doing a ton of work for me on this truck - getting her in solid shape before bringing her home to Massachusetts.
TexMOD

Re: Any US 109 owners on here?

Post by TexMOD »

Another stateside owner here in Texas :)
I originally bought my Stage 1 in Kaiserslautern, Germany in 1995.
Sold it in Germany in 1998.
Then remarkably, bought the same truck back again this year in Texas!
Reggie

1982 Ex-MOD FFR 109 Stage 1
1998 Discovery LE
2001 Discovery II SD
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

'True love never dies' :)
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
llandes

Post by llandes »

New Stage 1 owner here... 5 door in Southern California.

Just bought her in Utah and drove her home last weekend. A bit of a nightmare, but made it. Lots to do on this but I'm looking forward to having a Series 3 V8. I have a Series 3 109 3 door with the 2.25 petrol engine and now having a V8 should be much better. I'd post an image, but when I click on "IMG" it just inserts nothing and doesn't allow me to select a photo.
Chaz Quarrier

Post by Chaz Quarrier »

Hi, I'm in Utah with my 1980 Stage 1 Pickup - I'm not aware of any others in the USA.

Brought her from Oz when I moved here 4 years ago (had to leave my 1985 110 behind though :cry: )

The old 110:

llandes

Post by llandes »

Nice truck Chaz. Great license plate.
Chaz Quarrier

Post by Chaz Quarrier »

Cheers - how about we set up a US owners site on Facebook? We can add pics etc. more easily then.

I tried to set one up but it will not let me do so unless I can invite someone else as well. If you are up for it pm me your name and I'll friend request you and we can get a group going.

Thanks

Charles
Mick_Marsh

Post by Mick_Marsh »

Nice looking Landy there Chaz. I see you have the Olympic Steeltreks on it.
Here in Aus., some of the Stage 1's had an Isuzu 3.9 diesel. Mine originally was.
They are very sought after now.
Chaz Quarrier

Post by Chaz Quarrier »

Cheers Mick - I'm ditching the steeltreks as we speak - they were 1980 vintage with lots of cracking in the sidewall so it's time for new rubber.

Saw a few Isuzu powered ones in SA when I lived there; superb beasts, but living the States now the V8 does me fine as parts are easy to find and petrol is cheap (-ish). :lol:
Mick_Marsh

Post by Mick_Marsh »

I'm sitting here in sunny SA at the moment. Port Elliot.
I've a stack of Steeltreks at home. The ADF are auctioning off their old Steeltreks.
7.50 x 16 tyres are getting hard to find here.

Your white County looked a nice one. A mate bought one earlier this year and is fixing it up. I'm looking around for one with an Isuzu 3.9 in VGC. I can patiently wait.