Stage 1 leaf springs

Your adverts or pointers to other adverts, Ebay, recommended suppliers etc.
Prvt-pyle

Stage 1 leaf springs

Post by Prvt-pyle »

I am after a full set of standard leaf springs for a lwb stage 1. What is the best make? Where is the best place to source them from?
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

There is a large range of spring types you can use. Any spring maker should be able to furnish you with a standard spring set, the details of camber etc. are in the repair operation manual on page 04-7. You will see there are optional settings for 109 petrol, diesel, heavy duty and extra heavy duty. Or you can find the information in seriesIIIstage1supplement.pdf on this site on page 04-4.

I assume you do not want parabolics. A good option is to obtain an old set and have them reset in a furnace, then fit new bushes. Say for example, someone who has recently upgraded to parabolics.

It uses the same spring settings as the standard Series III 109. So standard series III springs will do the job just as well.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Prvt-pyle

Post by Prvt-pyle »

After some research and thinking perhaps parabolics are the way to go. Anitially I thought they were going to soft for my stage 1 looking around I see a four leaf rear set up is available. I am new to leaf springs but that set up sounds about right.
Land rover stage 1 1982 lwb station wagon 3.5 v8
range rover lse 1992 3.9 v8
range/land rover 100" hybrid 4.6 v8
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Depending on their spring rate, you will only require 4 leaf springs if you are carrying heavy loads or towing heavy trailers.

You said you wanted standard springs before. If you put on heavy duty springs then expect your ride to be harsh unless you carry ballast.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

I put 4 leaf paras on my soft top stage one. It did not take long for me to take one leaf out and run it with three leafs.

There are a ton of variables to tune in your specific best spring rate. I also wager that there are some variability between manufacturers.

All of that said, unless you are seriously putting weight in the back - stick with 3 leaf rears or maybe even 2 leaf rears with a helper spring.
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
Prvt-pyle

Post by Prvt-pyle »

Thanks everyone for the information
Land rover stage 1 1982 lwb station wagon 3.5 v8
range rover lse 1992 3.9 v8
range/land rover 100" hybrid 4.6 v8