New V8

Discussion about the Register (and V8 powered vehicles other than the Stage 1)

Moderator: glencoyne

Andy Dawe

New V8

Post by Andy Dawe »

The Stage one went to a good home and a new project was required that the dear wife could easily drive. I thought I'd post a couple of pics of my new V8 Landy.
Purchased from ebay and advertised as fully rebuilt on Richards chassis and new bulkhead. It was a standard Factory V8 90 which the owner had meticulously rebuilt using new and genuine parts. The receipt folder was over 7k. When I got it it had the original V8 and gearbox installed which although working perfectly were a little tired. Nearly every bolt that was not high tensile had been replaced with stainless steel and the body was in outstanding condition having all new doors and panels finished with a DIY repaint Coniston green.

Image Image
Image Image
Last edited by Andy Dawe on Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huzey

Post by Huzey »

Nice one Andy. Looks lovely 8)
I started off with nothing, and still got most of it left!
1989 110 V8 Hard Top

1955 Fordson Major E1a
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

Thankyou. But I quite quickly got fiddling and tinkering with it. As the base car had been built to an excellent standard I started with the oily bits that had not been touched in the rebuild.

First up was engine and gearbox. Gearbox was easy take gbox and tbox to Ashcroft who would supply a professionally built unit same day.

Engine however another story. Many options were open to me however a chance spot on ebay (again). Resulted in a factory rebuilt 4.6 engine removed from a P38A which had suffered a dashboard fire within a week of the engine being fitted.

This is what I bought

My misses was not impressed. However I was when looking inside the engine.

ImageImage

With some help from the internet and Real Steel who were fantastic I converted the engine to run with a distributor and carb.

Here's a piccy of it ready to go in the car fully dressed with Mallory Unilite and Edelbrock manifold and carb.

ImageImage
It was fitted to a Rimmer Bros Stainless Steel sports system with tubular manifolds.
Huzey

Post by Huzey »

How tidy is that! :D Doing a grand job there!
Huzey
I started off with nothing, and still got most of it left!
1989 110 V8 Hard Top

1955 Fordson Major E1a
gary_in_nz

Post by gary_in_nz »

that is nice mate, i have been on the lookout here (NZ) for a factory v8 90 and i just cant find one!! a few diesels around, but even they are rare in 90 form, a few more 110's but they are diesel, i dont think too many v8's actally made it to NZ.

Are the new indian owners of land rover going to carry on with v8's in the landys??
"If it ain't v8, take it back"
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

Factory V8's and general V8 conversions are starting to become increasingly popular. London has introduced an emission charge for diesel vans, trucks etc. V8's however are not affected. A clean unmolested low mileage 90 110 V8 are fetching up to 7k. Good luck happy hunting.
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

Here's a pic of it basically finished and how I want it.
It's been fitted with Disco 1 300 series 24 spline axles giving discs on the rear.
BFG 255 85 16 Mud on 300 TDI alloys
Superwinch Husky H10 Dual battery
Old man Emu springs and shocks

I took it to Eastnor castle this summer and was one of only a few cars that did not require winching up one of the extreme routes hills.

Manfred

Post by Manfred »

Gosh, that's one hell of a car...

And that mighty 4.6.. Must be a rocket!!
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

The 4.6 has bags of torque. It used to run on 205 16r wheels but it would accelerate sideways if you were showing off. The bigger wheels means it does 70mph at 2600rpm. However the speedo needs re calibrating as its displaying about 60mph. The engine runs out of puff at about 4500rpm but it has standard heads and a torque biased cam so thats only to be expected. The real problem is brakes........... I'm looking at paddocks trying to work out which vented disc parts will fit. Oh and it needs the castor angle correcting with a set of arms which will then mean I need a new front prop. Then the interior requires some soundproofing as it's like being in a biscuit tin that's been thrown down the stairs. Will it ever end.
Kiwistage1V8

Post by Kiwistage1V8 »

Andy Dawe wrote:Will it ever end.
I noticed the lack of a question mark at the end of your post, Andy. :wink: So, I'm guessing that you know the answer to that.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Stop Global Whining.
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

OOPS caught out again. However my wife's series 2 disco has a dashboard full of lights indicating the purchase of a nanocom and some serious headscratching. I really miss the simplicity of a proper land rover and the fact that you can fault find with a hammer and a light bulb. So it will have to wait a while until I've spent hundreds sorting out the disco.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

You referring to the 3 amigos?

Probably a faulty sensor, but get someone with a Testbook and reset it, then see if they come back. They may not, in which case it was just crud data in the computer, but if they do then the testbook program can check the sensors, etc.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Andy
Your 90 looks great, as did your Stage 1.I wish i had the patience to do things properly. I never seem to have enough time. My Hi-Cap is going at the weekend, shes going up to Oxfordshire i think.I have an old 2 door now, not sure weather to just get her MOTd and drive or do a proper job.
Your 90 is an inspiration!
Tel
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

disco2hse wrote:You referring to the 3 amigos?

Probably a faulty sensor, but get someone with a Testbook and reset it, then see if they come back. They may not, in which case it was just crud data in the computer, but if they do then the testbook program can check the sensors, etc.
Yes ABS TC HDC all on. Have ordered a Nanocom see what happens when it's reset.
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

Bumpkin a good 2 door is hard to beat. You hardly see any about these days. My misses saw a CSK the other day and asked for a car change. Funny enough there was a 2 door on ebay fitted with a 6 cyl 2.5 dse app it was a 10k conversion. Now that's dedication...