how could anything go wrong??

Discussion about the Register (and V8 powered vehicles other than the Stage 1)

Moderator: glencoyne

mattv8

how could anything go wrong??

Post by mattv8 »

how the hell could anything go wrong fitting a throttle cable? Neutral Neutral well where to start, took the old one off no probs, looked at peddle end to see how to do a small modd to allow for longer travel to accommodate the 4barrle webber carb, but that was saved for the next spare time slot, so put the new cable on, connected carb end & then peddle end, so far so good, ready for the start up, just check all springs relocated, yep fine, started find, but then it starts to rev up again, pull the peddle up, ok settles down again... but the throttle still sticks, undo the carb end, not sticking, reconnect carb end, try throttle again, push the peddle & it goes straight to the floor thump!!! take a look to find the peddle end of the cable has only pulled out of the clamped u connection, had a look at the cable & seems a strand of wire had pulled out a wrapped itself round between the cable & outer cover & thats what was making it stick.. now got to wait another week for next day off to go all the way back to supplier to get replacement.... thats how a very simple job can go wrong...
why do we do it to our selves!!!
Skye Stage 1

Post by Skye Stage 1 »

Sometimes it is the simplest things... Rotten when it happens though, so best of luck getting it sorted.
mattv8

Post by mattv8 »

well its sorted now, got the new cable no probs, put it on so up & running again, & god is it quick now!! :lol:
Skye Stage 1

Post by Skye Stage 1 »

So the Weber was a good mod? I have a Holley on an old Jeep engine which I'm trying to sell, and though about fitting it to the Landy, but it was too big at 600 CFM (you need around 350, I think).
mattv8

Post by mattv8 »

i think youd get away with fitting the 600 holy, you just might need to jet it down a bit, i was told you need at least a 500 holy for a v8, so 600 would or should be ok, might be a bit thirsty, ir you talk to real steel they would be able to give you the info you need. & yer it cert was a good up grade!!! so was the mallory electronic distributor.. :lol: :lol:
Skye Stage 1

Post by Skye Stage 1 »

I've got to differ with you there, Matt. I used to be a member of a Jeep forum board based in the States, and the 600 Holley I mentioned was on a 6ltr V8 - there is a formula for working out the desired CFM of a carb, and it depends on volumetric efficieny, max RPMs, etc. You could, as you say, jet it down, but Holleys are tricky to set up anyway, so trying to get a very large carb on a small (well, compared to yank V8s anyway) would be a pain.