Need help in Hawaii!!

Discussion about the Register (and V8 powered vehicles other than the Stage 1)

Moderator: glencoyne

Hawaii Rover

Need help in Hawaii!!

Post by Hawaii Rover »

Hello all,
My name is Eric I live in Hawaii and.... I am a "Roverholic". I want an old Land Rover so bad that I am hearing voices. The issue is we do not have any selection of Rovers (Series) in Hawaii and the Rovers for sale in the USA are beat to crap and sell for $5000-$6000 USD. The nice ones are selling for $15,000 to $20,000.
Since I want Left hand drive and would like a non rusted or dented out Rover my search has focused on used German Land Rovers (the rumor is German's take awesome care of their cars-even Rovers). Over the last year I have been looking at German Series Rovers on the German internet used car sites. I think I have found the perfect Rover for me. A light blue 1981 Stage One , 5 door, safari roof that has had the Rover V-8 replaced with a Mercedes 300 Diesel. The problems are :

1. The lady selling it only speaks German, so I have a friends grandmother translating for us.

2. She parked it 3 years ago and drained all the fluids. This is a problem due to the shipping cost to USA. If the vehicle runs I can ship it on a Roll on Roll Off ferry for about $2000 USD then an additional $1000 USD to Hawaii. Non running vehicles need to be shipped in a shipping container and the cost is over $6000 USD.

3. I only have $6000 USD to spend on my quest (or my wife will leave me). If I can purchase the Stage One for $2500 Euro about $3100 USD and then pay some one $500 USD to get it running, plus $3000 Shipping I will have my Rover for $6100 USD. And my wife will only be moderately pissed off with me.

The Land Rover is located in Kleve Germany (close to Netherlands) What I need to know is if any of the members saw the same internet as I did and may have checked the Rover out. And if any of the members live close to kleve and are willing to check it out for me. Additionally, if this Rover is in good condition I will pay someone to get it running and deliver it to a port for shipping. So far I have recieved a bunch of digital pictures of the rover and it looks great, but still I do not know the condition of the frame and bulkhead.

Thanks Eric
USA 808-627-1102 Cell 808-398-4215
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Eric,

If you drop me a line I can fill you in on some detail regarding Stage Ones in the UK. Also a good resource is Richard at Glencoyne. The problems you face are familiar ones. Most Landies in the UK are either old and beaten up or very expensive and they are almost all right hand drive.

If you check the For Sale forum you will see that Foggy Dave is selling his Stage One - it looks like a pretty sweet motor to me, he is asking 1800 pounds - about $3400, if you add all of your costs up it will probably total about $7500 - you haven't factored in import duty and the cost of a customs broker and posting of an import duty bond. Based on the purchase price you will have to do a "formal entry" - although not required US Customs will probably insist on using a broker - my recent quote $275, my duty on my Land Rover $200, cost of the bond $45. Don't forget to factor the cost of transporting your purchase to the docks I paid nearly 200 pounds ($375 + or -) and you may have to pay for storage if there is no ship scheduled to sail for a week or two.

I know it's more than you want to spend I know, but it may be your best option. I would be very careful about buying the Stage One with the diesel engine, you may have EPA problems as it isn't the original engine, plus Hawaii may have it's own rules about diesels - California certainly does. You need to stick as close to original spec as possible.

Don't forget that if your German Landy isn't over 25 years old you won't be able to legally import it - check when it was built, if it is early 1981 you are okay, but if it was late '81 you may have to wait until the 25 year mark has passed.

I am happy to share any knowledge that I have gained.

One last downside of buying a European Land Rover, the Germans and Dutch love their Land Rovers and this is reflected in the price - you can learn to live with the RHD or consider a conversion, again I can share some info with you on this.

Good luck.

Alan.
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Off the track a little but you do know that Australia is littered with Land-Rovers?

Having been amazed the Mini Moke craze of a few years ago where any rotten old Moke and Minis were being sent to the States at ridiculously marked up prices. The idea of Land-Rovers seems to have been missed.

I don't know if there is a major shipping route to make a Land-Rover affordable to transport but this may well be worth looking in to.

Though there are certainly many local cars to avoid, there have been quite a few recent sales that I would have jumped at if I had the space.

Can't solve the steering wheel issue for you but at least with a Ser III, the body is ambidextrous. So its only a few parts, some spanners and a little time to make them LHD.
Mik

Post by Mik »

Hi Eric

I live in Denmark (right next to Germany). Land Rovers, and especially Stage 1's, in good nick are not cheap in Germany. For 2500 euros you will get a "california-style rust free" car ..... meaning theres IS rust and it IS free :)

I've looked at a couple of very nice Stage 1's - no fancy galvanized chassis or anything, but just in good nick - and they were like 12-20.000 euros - but then again you might "get lucky", but make to have someone check it over before purchase, so you at least have a realistic 3.party description of the condition it's in.

Cheers
Michael
Michael
1965 109 FC SIIA
1982 109 V8 SIII CSW Stage One
1982 109 V8 SIII HCPU Stage One
1990 RRC Vogue SE
primsil

Post by primsil »

I wonder how he got on with this, it was 2 years ago now.
1985 110, 3.9 auto
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Maybe he over spent :shock: :D
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5