Post by disco2hse »

:)

[Could do with a like button]
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

Got side tracked last night. As rad was off decided that the metal frame could do with a clean and paint. Thinking of making the brace bars/ A shape bars between grill and rad White to make them stand out.
Won't make the truck complete quicker but it's always nice to bolt clean painted bits on. I know everybody else does!!!
Pics to follow soon
Regards
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

Evening all. Thought l would pass on the good news. The new engine was finally started up today. Ran a absolute treat!
Apart from loosing a carb and fitting the dissy 180deg out.
A massive thanks to my dad for coming up and helping me. Pics soon
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Good stuff. Now where are those pics!

:)
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
sebking

great news

Post by sebking »

well done!!!!!
1970 Spitfire MKIII
1981 Laser 1 88643
1982 Stage 1 v8 SW
1992 Laser 2 9101 "Purple Reign"
2000 Laser Pico 4050
2001 Brompton M3L
2010 VW California GP 140 SE
2010 Brompton M6L
2010 Venture Ranger 16 Canoe
2010 Cube Ltd Pro
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

afternoon all,
thought l would post an update of getting "Harry's Hack" back on the road.
well the truck runs well now with the new engine fitted. the carbs need to be ballanced and mixture tuned (only ticking over with a small amount of choke). exhaust smoke clears quickly.

because the new engine does not have the mount for a viscious fan l decided to mount a electric fan.
after a week of internet purchases for a 16" push/pull fan, thermostat, on/off/on switches, inline fuses, relays, and cables l was ready to fit today.
first job was to get the 16" fan to fit inside the cowl, l had measured it and was sure it would fit, however l had not taken into account the frame that the fan sits inside, this meant that the cowl had to be trimmed to get the fan fitted flush against the rad. the end of the water pump shaft also had to be trimmed to get the clearance between the fan motor and water pump shaft.
l had to drain the rad to fit the thermostat housing on the bottom rad pipe (from XENG). just as l was undoing the drain plug, the whole plug and thread came out in my hand :x :x :x
managed to get it fixed at a radiator place in coventry today. while it was being pressure tested, a small hairline crack had developed on the inlet pipe. two repairs for £30, o'well
l had been advised that l could fix the fan to the rad by ties through the rad but the rad chap said this is very bad for the rad as its not designed to carry a big powerful fan
it seems like 3 steps forward and 4 steps backwards, l just need more time to get it all completed. l was really looking forward to having it all completed today but looks like it will be another few weeks before l can try again :(
l have also fitted some bling to the filler cap - another XENG product
Last edited by harry potter on Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

well a bit of a update.
the electric fan is all wired in now and works a absolute treat! kicks in and cools down a treat.
unfortunately after shutting off the engine l found a nice surprise at the back of the block
better to find it while parked on the drive than out on the road
2 steps forward, 1 back!!!
Last edited by harry potter on Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mrs Bingham

Post by Mrs Bingham »

The joys of stretching a 5/8” hose over a 3/4” flange. It looks like you’ve got the obligatory bypassed/missing heating valve. After that arrangement burst twice on mine I ended up using the correct size hoses with 3/4 to 5/8 reducers from Halfords.
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

been there......

I have no idea why Land Rover thought it was a good idea to have heater hoses plug into 3/4" pipes on one end and 5/8" on the other.

I did some carb work on my truck that required me to disconnect a few of these hoses. The more I touched, the more I found in cracked or near cracked state. A total replace of all heater hoses may sound like overkill but you will probably get there one hose at a time over the next six months, anyway.
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

pipe finally replaced - used a 15mm pipe and a 19mm pipe - connected with a 17mm end to end connector. bit of hot water and some fairy and all together fine. good run for best part of an hour with no leaks so very happy with the fix.

MOT booked for fri 9th March - checked the last TAX disc - last on the road 04/2004. its been a while!!!! new engine so there shouldnt be any problems - booked an hour with the garage to tune the carbs to ensure correct running.

fingers crossed all goes well
sebking

it's race!

Post by sebking »

you are ahead of me an amy MOT has run out!
1970 Spitfire MKIII
1981 Laser 1 88643
1982 Stage 1 v8 SW
2000 Laser Pico 4050
2001 Brompton M3L
2010 Brompton M6L
2010 Cube Ltd Pro
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

Well the stage1 has made it all the 9miles to the garage tonight!
For some reason throttle linkage was disconnected so only running on 1 carb! Once reattached it went like stink!
This was the first time l have driven the truck since it failed it MOT last year.
I had forgotten how heavy the steering was, how noisy and cold it is. A little different to my 2ltr 60plate Mondeo. Must get a radio fitted :)
Hope all goes well tomorrow morning- should know either way by 11am (nurvious but excited)
sebking

MOT

Post by sebking »

mines booked for 12th March at 10.30am!

If you get a pass before that you win.

Good luck
1970 Spitfire MKIII
1981 Laser 1 88643
1982 Stage 1 v8 SW
2000 Laser Pico 4050
2001 Brompton M3L
2010 Brompton M6L
2010 Cube Ltd Pro
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

you will beat me to it.

Failed again today.
good points - engine and carbs running perfect - no need to adjust mixture.

failed on:
not enough clips on brake pipes
number plate light not working - admit never checked - resolved
indicators had packed up over night - cause was the hazard warning pull switch on dash board. - resolved
middle outrigger - rust hole - can be plated
hand brake at 10% - does anybodys ever work?
front brakes out of ballance
head lights too high - resolved.
brake servo not working - checked pipe - very good vacume

advisory - two bandages on exhaust
passenger footwell could do with small patch

drove really well on the way home - have 10 days to resolve problems now.

has anybody else had problems with their brake servo?
it has good vacume to it so the pipe is ok.
when you pump the brakes till solid, then while keeping brake pedal depressed start the engine - if the servo is working ok the pedal should slowly sink - mine does not.
cheers
a unhappy harry potter
Mrs Bingham

Post by Mrs Bingham »

Not too bad considering :)

Handbrake should work well but never like seeing them tested on a rolling road :shock:

Unusual for brake servos not to work but yours has been standing for ages! It must have an air leak which I suspect you won’t be able to hear if the engine is running. Spray carb cleaner where the master cylinder joins the servo – it could be a knackered seal. Do the same where hose attaches. You’ll hear a change in the engine note if it sucks in carb cleaner. If the diaphragm has gone then it’s a bin job. If you have got an air leak it’ll need tuning again when fixed.
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)