V8 finally started after 3 years of sitting, over the moon

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

I don't have any engine numbers. It's come from a disco and a high compression unit.
The garage does not know the history of the vehicle the engine came from. Just that they were rotton out and the engine ran fine before being dry stored
Mrs Bingham

Post by Mrs Bingham »

If you can get hold of the engine number then look it up on this link

http://www.landroverv8.com/v8engines/v8engines.pdf

you'll see the disco 3.5 has the same compression ratio as the Stage1
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

excellent, thanks for the link.
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

Hi all,
l picked up the engine yesterday. mate helped with the use of his SIII SWB. Garage has checked the compression and said all is ok.

checked the engine number against the the list - it is a 10A00001A SD1 manual 9.35:1 CR 1976-87.
the old original engine was a 11G00001 Stage 1 8.13:1 CR 1982

bit of surface corosion but should clean up nicely. going to hire a steam cleaner just to give it a bit of nice "safe" clean up.

does any body on here have a engine crane l can borrow for a week. l can collect between Tonbridge and Coventry. need it for a week at the begining of March.

sebking

Crane

Post by sebking »

One between Newbury and Oxford if that helps.
Seb
1970 Spitfire MKIII
1981 Laser 1 88643
1982 Stage 1 v8 SW
1992 Laser 2 9101 "Purple Reign"
2000 Laser Pico 4050
2001 Brompton M3L
2010 VW California GP 140 SE
2010 Brompton M6L
2010 Venture Ranger 16 Canoe
2010 Cube Ltd Pro
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

hi sebking
you have a PM
Cheers
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

sebking
not sure if the Pm are getting through? the private messages do not show me sending messages. if they are gettiing through you will have about 3 - sorry

anyways if they are not getting though l have asked
hi

thanks for the quick response to the thread.

do you have a crane for hire or sale? aslo what size/lifting capacity is it please?
l can collect next week (defo next friday on way home) travel on the M40 from Tonbridge

what sort of price are you looking for? (hire or sale)

thanks
Harry
sebking

crane

Post by sebking »

It free to borrow!
1970 Spitfire MKIII
1981 Laser 1 88643
1982 Stage 1 v8 SW
1992 Laser 2 9101 "Purple Reign"
2000 Laser Pico 4050
2001 Brompton M3L
2010 VW California GP 140 SE
2010 Brompton M6L
2010 Venture Ranger 16 Canoe
2010 Cube Ltd Pro
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

Evening sebking.
When would you be available for a posible collection of the engine crane please? Some time at the weekend or early next week?
Cheers
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

evening all, just some pics of progress today.
the rad has come off along with the front pannel.
gas kit on its way out.
also had thye rocker covers off the new engine to see what they are like :( need a massive clean up so new rockers l think.
borrowed Sebkings engine crane today - brilliant chap - thank you very much - very impressed with your landy

Post by 5988 »

are those pics of your new engine.... :shock:
tbh unless you fancy a rebuild I think that engine is done ...
have a look here for some problems, but at least id expect, cam chain and sprockets, cam, rockers and shafts, bottom end bearings are shot if that sludge is being pumped around
http://www.stage1v8.org.uk/phpBB2/viewt ... c&start=15 (I need to fix the pics, will do it tonight)
if its the old one then...definatly needed replacement
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

yes those photos of the rockers were of the new engine!!!

my heart has just dropped after looking through your photos on your link and the work you have done. l have got twice as much muck/gunk/sludge as your photos. the engine must be nackered inside.

l do not have the money, time, space or know how to do a complete strip and re-build like you have done.
l have got to decide what to do now - l suspose next jon is to open the engine right up and see just how bad it really is inside.

these two pics are of the original engine rockers. a million times better condition.

Post by 5988 »

next job, take the intake manifold off and have a look,
you may be lucky and have found it early enough that a good clean out will be all it needs....
Mine only cost about £250 to rebuild as I used cheap pattern parts for it...
but I didn't need the crank, bores or pistons doing so got away lightly on that front

As previous post if your stuck/need a second opinion offer of help is still there

...where was the engine from?
if from a garage,
got a receipt or anything stating its condition .... not an ideal approach to need to go with but may be necessary... :cry:
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

thanks - intake manifold will come off tomorrow - await some pictures!

the engine came from the local 4x4 land rover garage. it was "sold as seen" but known to run ok. compression checks done by the garage and confirmd to be ok on each cylinder.
the vehicle it was removed from had rotted out but the owner had saved the engine as suspodibally good. the garage had got hold of it is a p.x.
l didnt get anything in writing confirming its condition which thinking now about it is a BIG mistake and feel really quite stupid about it.

thanks again for the help offer - l will continue posting pics and appreciating all help and advice given.

dissapointed that l didnt have any pics of the old engine while the valley gasket was off. harly any gunk/sludge in the bottom.

wounder how much a v8 would get at the scrap yard. be nice to get my money back. have some rangie manifolds that came with it - might be worth a bob

Post by 5988 »

familar story,
V8's don't really wear the bores, so compression is usually good
Mine matched the book on all 8 cyls, Idled fine, revved fine, no indication of its condition...I even test drove it around the yard, and all seemed well
...Learned from that, look in the rocker cover, if its full or gunk find another engine

Re-scrap value, Aluminium is worth quite a bit ...worth an enquiry at your local scrap yard, as it may be worth stripping so you can scrap it as aluminium not mixed metal ...
manifolds worth more as scrap as they are heavy, and pretty common