Replacement Heater for Stage 1V8

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
Upjohn

Replacement Heater for Stage 1V8

Post by Upjohn »

Hi

I'm new to the forum and to the register, although I've had my V8 for a little over a year. I have a couple of questions which I'd be grateful for some help with.

Firstly, is there a good aftermarket heater system to replace or support the standard one - not having much comfort now the cold weather is here.

Secondly, I want to fit a Kenlowe fan and remove the viscous Unit. I'm told by Kenlowe that the standard unit should be OK, but Paddocks advertise a double unit for the V8 which is nearly twice the price! Any thoughts?

Cheers :
Basil

Post by Basil »

Hi mate, reguards the heater, you could dimantle the unit and refit it with two matrixs have seen this done before or you could use a mk1 ford fiesta matrix, fits in the origanal heater box but works more efficently, or even pipe another unit into the cab.

As to the kenlows mate i would not bother, will make hardley any difference at all plus they are a big draw on your battery, i had two fitted only time they really came into there own was when i was deep water wading and i had them on a switch so i could turn them off ie no fan thashing water all over the distributer, i took mine off and went back to the original viscous unit works perfectley well enough

Anyway welcome to the forum mate, hope this helps Basil
samro

Post by samro »

The regular fan works fine in deep water so long as the couple is not seazed & is in good condition, the fan will hit the water and so long as your not much above 1500rpm it will just stall on the couplying.

Viscus use a be of Hp as they are much more powerfull than lecy one's I have seen situations when towing & when off road whea I am glad I have a nasty big fuel dricking peace backlite up frount looking after my engine!!!!
& I have seen the electronic sensors that turn lecy fans on not work when covered with mub/water... no funny well not for the owner!!
"The very difficult we do immediately the impossible takes a little longer!"
1985 Range Rover V8 Auto [Rachel]
1981 Stage 1 V8 S/W [Custard]
1972 SIII 88" D S/W [The 88"]
Basil

Post by Basil »

I did away with the sensor and put mine on to two switches, sensor was not reliable like samro say's but if you do this you have to remember to switch them on.

Basil
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

Land Rover fitted a Viscous unit for a very good reason. They work and are reliable. Having fitted Electric fans in the past and been asked to get several working on my friends motors. They are expensive and unreliable.

Some people reckon if you use the Landy for wading to have an Electric one fitted and switch it off when entering water. It's just as easy to tie up the viscous unit with a bit of string or drill a hole in a blade and the top of the cowl and put a small cable tie through it.
onno wielinga

Post by onno wielinga »

dont do this to keep your electrics dry; i usually fit a cut up oil canister (about 5 litres, plastic jerrycan) with a tierip over the distributor. the front of the canister i have kept the full length and in other places i have it as big and as low as possible.

this has worked without any problems, even with the waterlevel over ankle in the car.