Oldest Stage 1 Hicap?

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
glencoyne

Oldest Stage 1 Hicap?

Post by glencoyne »

Registered 7/5/82, now up and running for the first time in 15 years:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDvDQTSYFxw

It is impossible to describe how much pain and suffering it has taken to get the vehicle to this point...

Richard
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Hi Richard
I'm not sure when the Hi-Cap went into production but its good to see another going on the road. Is this the one you sold quite some time ago?The sale of mine fell through fortunatly!Its back as my every day drive now.How much work was needed so far?
Tel
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
Mik

Post by Mik »

Hi Richard,

More pain than what went into rebuilding mine :lol: ?
Michael
1965 109 FC SIIA
1982 109 V8 SIII CSW Stage One
1982 109 V8 SIII HCPU Stage One
1990 RRC Vogue SE
glencoyne

Post by glencoyne »

Michael, I think yours was worse. At least this one didn't need the rear body reconstructing, but everything else on it was bad. Engine had a hole in the block, gearbox jumped out of gear, the interior was totally trashed because it had been left in the open for ten years with no door tops (they had rusted and fallen off). A shame as it originally had a full County interior. If it had been an ordinary 4 cylinder, even a 4-cyl Hicap I would have scrapped it. But I couldn't do that to a Stage One Hicap. I think it was Terry who told me there were only nine sold in the UK - sounds low, but possible. By the time the Hicap was launched everyone knew that the One Ten was only a few months away, and even the 4-cyl 109 Hicaps sold in pretty tiny numbers. Not many people would have bought a V8 Hicap in 1982.

Terry, when I saw your vehicle for sale I thought of abandoning this one and telling the customer to buy yours instead. That was around the time I was trying to weld together fresh air and bits of lace to make a bulkhead. But I was too far into it by that time. Glad to hear you still have yours.

Richard
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Richard
as far as i could find out there were actually 28 Hi-Cap Stage 1s produced.Over the 5 years i have had mine i actually tracked down 6 of em. There is another here in Cornwall down at Mullion although i have not seen it.I wish i had kept better records but thats me!.
Tel
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County