Any Ideas?

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
olliebarrett_92

Any Ideas?

Post by olliebarrett_92 »

Hello to all.
In the last 2 months I have bought my very first car.
At the age of only 16, but my heart set on a Land Rover for my first car, I thought why not go the whole way and get a true beast?

So now I am here, with my Stage One Hard Top in Masai Red, sitting in the back garden, and very happy with it.

Has anyone got any suggestions for improvements to my Land Rover? Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted,

Thanks
Ollie.
Now on the road, and loving it!!!! =)
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

First of all, welcome to the club! :lol:

If I was you I'd give it a full service before doing something else. This way you can get to know your car is it is. Then the improvement plans come automatically :lol:
Huzey

Post by Huzey »

Hi Ollie
Congratulations on a fine choice for a first car. :D
As for improvements, the world is your lobster. There are so many things you could do depending on how much money you have to spend. The best thing I did to my stage 1 was fitting disc brakes on the front. I also fitted a power steering set up as well, which made it a much nicer drive.
Look forward to seeing some pictures of your beast.
All the best
Huzey.
I started off with nothing, and still got most of it left!
1989 110 V8 Hard Top

1955 Fordson Major E1a
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Ollie,

Good choice :)

Yes, first have it all serviced and replace all the fluids just so you know it has been done and then get into a regular routine of performing a service every 5000km. You can download from various sources Series 3 workshop manuals but I would recommend buying the Haynes Series II, III workshop manual and the V8 supplement.

I would also recommend going on a proper 4WD driving course, not so much that you might want to mad off-road (although you might ;) ) but so that you know how to handle a vehicle of this type.

Don't worry too much about making modifications yet. As you go you'll want to make changes and you can decide on them then, say you are going on a summer road trip with your mates, you may want to add a roof rack, bunks, etc. Later on you want to do some serious green laning so you invest in mud tyres. Get the idea?

And photos ;)
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
choc-ice

Post by choc-ice »

Welcome!

As said, I'd go with getting it to standard condition first, no point having big spotlights and chrome wheels if the chassis is rusty and the engine needs £500 spending on it.

For things like brakes it's worth costing up replacement parts and then seeing if a disc kit is worth doing. If your brakes are all fine then perhaps your money is better spent elsewhere.

Also depends if you want your improvements to show - electronic ignition might be a sensible way to blow £250 but nobody else will see it.
stephen

good choice

Post by stephen »

wow first car good very good choice
mate get it all sorted & you will never need another car in you life time
they go great and keep going very little expence for what you get
good luck with it all