Assistance in Identifying this Land Rover...

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
Ted Conner

Assistance in Identifying this Land Rover...

Post by Ted Conner »

Hello to all,

I am new to this Forum, and close to purchasing my 2nd Land Rover...

The Land Rover I am considering to purchase seems strange...

The seller states it has the 200 series Diesel engine, but the wind screen it is a split type with the flush front grille, just like a stage 1 (I had thought it was a Stage 1 V8 HCPU)... Also it is a pick up body.

The fuel filler is directly behind the driver door, which seems to be on certain earlier models, and interior looks from a much later model.??..

I am based here in Asia, so possibly it was assembled out here with strange bits?? Or maybe a later Stage 1 HCPU that was conerted to Diesel (shame...).

Tried to upload an image of the vehicle, but I don't have a website to link it to, is there another way I can post a photo?

Will get the VIN number in a few days when I inspect it, am working to get that data...

Any suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated, thanks and great forum!

T. Conner[/img]
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Hiya
Be interesting to see this one.Try Photobucket, thats the one i use.
Terry
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
Ted Conner

Post by Ted Conner »

Hi Terry,
Took your advise posted some pics at Photobucket, was very easy.
http://s348.photobucket.com/albums/q323/Ted_Conner/
Also I did a VIN search turns out:
VIN 91307904B
Land Rover Series 3
109 inch
Petrol Engine
Produced 1972 - 1979
CKD produced for export RHD
B = One Siginificant design modificaiton (guess that is the HCPU body).
So seems my Series 3 Stage 1 V8 dreams are shattered... And I am on the wrong forum to boot!
Guess this vehicle has had a lot of changes over the years... Originally it was Military Green, so maybe it was a Thai Military Vehicle in it's first life.
All things considered and the condition it is in, may still be good for the task at hand...
Thanks
Ted
primsil

Post by primsil »

Hi Ted. What a can of worms you have opened. That is a coil sprung 110, not a 109, looking at the pic under the bonnet it has a later reservoir and radiator mounts so is more likely a later 80s or 90s on model, 200 TDi most likely is correct, the 300 sat further forward. It has most likely been a ragtop and a series 3 screen fitted to allow the s3 roof to fit. Most likely military order so not having the rear tank.
1985 110, 3.9 auto
primsil

Post by primsil »

Also it is a standard pickup not a HCPU, the HCPU body is seperate to the cab and wider than the cab.

Hope all that is of some help.
1985 110, 3.9 auto
Ted Conner

Thanks!

Post by Ted Conner »

Many thanks for the valuable assistance.

You are right, seems to really be a can of worms... The VIN is much older than the vehicle appears to be... And the registration book confirms it was a model year 1974 as per the VIN... But as you mentioned it looks like a 80's or 90's 110 with an early windscreen and roof... I concur that it is likely to have been a military vehicle. Maybe the chassis was swaped at some point and this is a result of 2 or 3 vehicles spliced together...

Funny thing is that overall the vehicle is in good order, seems to be really solid, and strangely looks like it was factory assembled... and no rust t be found and a solid service history for the past 5 years...

Is it possible that this was an older CKD export sent to Thailand or Indonesia in the mid 1970's and finally assembled in the late 80's? That would explain the older VIN and registration, and also the later build. Could that be a remote possibility??

Have been looking for an original example here for some time, most here have been refitted with Toyota engines and suspension or worse, so in the grand view this one is not as bad as most I've seen...

Again many thanks for your time and assistance,

Kind Regards,

Ted
primsil

Post by primsil »

Hi Ted, it couldnt be earlier than 83 as that is when they started making the 110 and the parts wouldnt have been available before then.
I would suspect the identity has been swapped at some stage, according to my 85 110 handbook the vin should be 17 digits long. Have you posted on any other forums, there are lots who would know more than me about identifying this properly, LRUK would be one forum I would suggest.
1985 110, 3.9 auto
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Whatever the result is. Shes a dam fine truck.
Tel
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
primsil

Post by primsil »

There is a member on ORRP from Malaysia, he has posted pics of landy wreckers over there that are full of tidy 110s that are ex govt, police and army, but can not be registered due to lack of log books. Maybe yours was similar and so they used an older identity. As Terry said it is a tidy truck, but what would happen if you were caught with a false log book?
1985 110, 3.9 auto
Ted Conner

Post by Ted Conner »

Thanks to all, it is a really nice truck in very fine order.. But the VIN just does not jibe.

I tend to agree wtih you that it may be an Ex Military that had no log book and an earlier book was used to re-register it. I think that is spot on.

I have been here in Thailand for 16 years, and have 4 vehicles, one is a 98 4.6 Range Rover, so the process of registering the vehicle & the annual MOT inspection is not a problem, they only check the chassis number against the book, and in this case it does match. The problem would have been to get it registered the first time, and that was done some years ago, so I see no problems with that. And due to the mixed age in the MOT book, the price is very fair also.

I will not hijack the Stage 1 V8 forum any longer, I really appreciate all your kind assistance and the valuable info. In the end it is a clean and solid truck for a fair price, no matter the VIN or history, and I am not looking to buy it for it's future resale value, I am buying it to be used to haul all our technical SCUBA gear to locations around Thailand and Malaysia and eventualy will do a trip to Vietnam in it. (at least it has a 5 speed for the highways and a good air con!...) Think I wil go for it...

Again thanks!

Ted Conner
//URACA Asia Operations