Special?

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
shropshirelad

Special?

Post by shropshirelad »

Hi,

Im considering buying a Stage 1 v8. Its a 1981, 109" hartop with some interesting features. The vehicle has been dry stored when not in use, so is in very cood condition. The chassis and bulkhead are solid, and have apparently been waxoiled every year without fail. The engine has only covered 73,000 miles, and runs without fault.

The V5 specifies that the first owner was Rover. The current (second) owner assures me that the vehicle came straight from rover with two fuel tanks and the green colour scheme with the yellow stripe. It also has some locker compartments in the rear tub. The numberplate is SAC 5**W. After doing a bit of research, I found that the SAC plate is something to do with either prototypes, demonstrations, or press release.

Could anyone suggest how much it may be worth? They are asking for £2500. I can't decide wether its worth the money. I've looked at a few other stage 1 v8s, and the asking prices seem to vary hugely.

Any help would be much appreciated

Here's a pic:

Larry

Post by Larry »

If it's really in that good condition, regardless of it's history, I'd consider it. You could easily spend a couple of grand getting a cheaper one up to scratch (or even keeping it roadworthy).

How good is the engine though. Mine has similar mileage and is/has been in a real state. Check it out thoroughly. Make sure the chassis and bulkhead are really solid under all that waxoil (mine had been regularly waxoiled and revealed loads of holes when it had all been scraped off).

I'd forget about the history and evaluate it for a sound wagon first and treat any celebrity status as a bonus.
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

Sounds like a great truck but as Larry mentioned check the engine and bulkhead.

If its not been run a lot and not had the oil changed regularly then the top end will be full of black sludge and at 70k+ miles the camshafts tend to be worn.

Jon

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

WooHoo!!
I'd buy it cuz its Java Green!
I've had 4 Stage 1s now.All the engines were OK.Chassis were badly rotten on 2 of em. THe station wagon i am currently breaking has a good chassis which i might sell. Bulkheads rust though.
Terry
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County