Earthquake at home

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
gary_in_nz

Earthquake at home

Post by gary_in_nz »

hello everyone.

For anyone whos interested in geography...

just over a week ago my home town of Gisbonre NZ was rocked by an earthquake. It meassured 6.8 on the Rictor Scale, which is reasonably big, but it was centred only 50km south east, and only 40km deep. There was a fair bit of dammage around the place, and last I heard was about $NZD 30 million, worth of damage to buildings and various other property.

It is by far the largest earthquake I have experienced in my life. Around my home was very little damage, books fell off book shelves and some plates and beer mugs got smashed, but nothing major. Many buildings have been condemed as they are unsafe to be in.

I found this video on YouTube, it looks as if it was from security camara in a shop in town. It shows quite well the force of the quake, as lots of items fly off the shelves. take a peak.

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=dCv_p4u0oLE

I have a few photos of damage to different buildings but most were taken a couple of days after when a lot of debris had been removed from the streets. Also some of a small dairy supermarket that got hit quite badly.

the whole footpath on this block got shifted 6 inches in this direction resulting in this>>

Beer and wine isle at dairy>>

Condemmed building>>

Roof Cave Ins>>>

Braced Up Wall>>

Hope No one is on dial up internet anymore!!

Have a good Christmas and New Years!!!!!!
"If it ain't v8, take it back"
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Wow, certainly seems like quite a shakeup! You don't hear about them often down in NZ! Fancy it happening at this time of year!
Stirling