Carpets

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
cjastbury

Carpets

Post by cjastbury »

As well as replacing the gearbox and clutch, the brown carpet of my 110 V8 has seen its day. With kids, dogs and kayaks often taking a place inside her, I was wondering if anyone has had experience with refitting carpet, rubber matting, or found a cost effective method of taking care of this issue, including maybe some sound proofing.
Cheers
C. J. Astbury
Northumberland
Larry

Post by Larry »

I am getting to the point in my rebuild of replacing the interior trim too. The mats and carpet sets I have seen in the trade adverts always seem to state NOT V8 for the series vehicles. A 110 should be alot easier to get ready made kit for. There are some decent rubber load liners etc. out there. Just search through LRO adverts.

If you fancy trying to make it all yourself, I found this company to supply the raw materials Woolies Trim. You can get sound proofing from companies like RS-Components (I'm sure there will be cheaper out there though). Just search www.rswww.com for Sound Insulation. The Polyurethane Foam is very good and comes in sheets with a self adhesive backing and either Tedlar or aluminium facing.
Raggylad

Post by Raggylad »

Sorry to disappoint, but the 'not V8' applies to 110s as well. I have OE rubber matting in my '83 110 V8 SW. Drivers side was well worn & couldn't find a replacement (its all one piece with trans tunnel & passenger footwell) anywhere.

My solution was to cut away the outer 3/4 of the footwell (leaving a good overlap round the bottom edge of the trans tunnel & bulkhead bits) then cut a piece of rubber matting to fit the footwell.

If the carpet on the trans tunnel & bulkhead in your truck are OK-ish, then I would advise doing this in both footwells with whatever carpet/matting (Woolies are a good source) takes your fancy.

Or you could bite the bullet, take out a mortgage and get a car trimmer to make you a custom set !
1983 110 V8 Station Waggon - LPG converted

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, quite so much fun as messing about in boats
firemanshort

Liner

Post by firemanshort »

I sprayed the inside of my truck with a rubberized bed-liner (www.linex.com). It was done commercially and was not the brush on "Herculiner" product - but it is essentially the same thing.

It is not carpet - but it is not bare aluminum.

-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
Larry

Post by Larry »

That is an excellent idea. Looks good. Does it act as sound deadening as well?
firemanshort

sound dead

Post by firemanshort »

I am not sure there is anything that can dull the roar of a Series truck.

This coating does take the "ring" out of the large flat metal panels, though.
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
cjastbury

Thanks

Post by cjastbury »

Thanks for all the useful comments, I happened to go to B&Q, and their rubber matting is ideal. I bought a few rolls, and made my own rubber carpet, and as its 5mm thick, it adds extra sound proofing.

Cheers
C. J. Astbury
Northumberland