Save or scrap?

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
glencoyne

Save or scrap?

Post by glencoyne »

I have just bought a very sad-looking Stage One for breaking. It is a RHD pickup in Java Green, registration BFW 172W. Heavily stripped (no doors, top or front panel) and with accident damage to one wing, and non-running.

The trouble is, now I have had a good look around it, I reckon it's not too far gone to save. The chassis is covered in mud and flaky rust, but the metal underneath seems very sound (apart from a couple of outriggers) and it has hardly had any welding. The bulkhead needs new floorpans but the top half is perfect. Springs are good, the electrics appear OK, and it has a very straight rear body tub. It has a factory recon gearbox, and the engine turns over on the starter (haven't tried running it yet, as I am not convinced that oil is getting to the valve gear).

If anyone wants to take this one on as a project, give me a ring on 07776 287953. Otherwise I will probably end up breaking it.

Richard
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Richard
Any chance of a piccy?
Terry
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
glencoyne

Post by glencoyne »

Bumpkin wrote:Richard
Any chance of a piccy?
Terry
Certainly. I haven't forgotten that I promised you one. But the vehicle is at the back of the workshop at the moment, so I need to drag it out into the daylight to get some photos of it.

I got the engine running - very sweet and quiet. I made an oil pump priming tool out of a scrap distributor, so I could spin the pump shaft using a power drill. That got plenty of oil to the places it needed to go. I'll try and post a photo of that as well, it's a handy piece of kit for anyone working on V8s.

Richard
glencoyne

Post by glencoyne »

As promised, a couple of pictures:

Too late to save this one now. The radiator has gone, I have someone interested in the body tub and various axle bits, and the engine has found its way into a Ninety:

It is coupled to an R380 box from a Discovery II. Should be nice when it is finished. Incidentally, the engine number starts 24G, so it left the factory fitted to a Ninety or One Ten.
samro

Post by samro »

have the CV's been sold?

how much for them if not?
"The very difficult we do immediately the impossible takes a little longer!"
1985 Range Rover V8 Auto [Rachel]
1981 Stage 1 V8 S/W [Custard]
1972 SIII 88" D S/W [The 88"]
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Thanks Glen for the snap. Great colour!
Terry
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
Bumpkin

Chains

Post by Bumpkin »

Well Chaps
As you all know by now we got snow in Cornwall big time.My new set of snow chains arrived on Thursday! Did'nt think i'd need them for a while!!!!!!!!!
The Stage 1 was good in the snow anyway, but with the chains it was awsome. Spent most of the afternoon rescueing family from the stuck cars.Even pulled out a Police Freelander, Boy was that a good feeling. Sorry no piccy.If i was ever indecisive about selling her, this has fixed me.I've found the truck for me. Big Java Green Stage 1 HiCap. MOTed her for 200 Quid, not bed either. Even if i spent 50 Pounds on petrol.
Terry
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Not that it matters but Quinten wilson used to have a Stage 1 this colour. What was the number?
Terry
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
glencoyne

Post by glencoyne »

Reg number or chassis number? Or do you mean the reg number of Quentin Wilson's old Stage 1?

Richard
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Not his was it?He'd be gutted to find it scrapped.
tel
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County