Lightweight Series 3, Stage 1, 88" V8

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
Mattkisler

Lightweight Series 3, Stage 1, 88" V8

Post by Mattkisler »

Hello everybody,

I am writing to you from Tobago, Trinidad and Tobago. I have just purchased my second Landy, the first being a 110 Defender from 1985. My new purchase is, I believe, a rather unique model. According to the chassis number: SALLBAAH1AA159962, it should be a Europe, UK, British Leyland/Landrover, Series III Stage 1 Leightweight, 88", Soft-top, 2.25 ltr. Petrol, Right Hand Drive, up to '83-'84 built, Solihull, car. But it isn't, since it has a 3.5ltr V8, and this since it came to Trinidad, as per it's original documentation. I cannot find the chassis number in any of the available internet sites, can you help? I have read that in 1982, 29 of these 88" V8's were built and 24 of them went to Trinidad. Did I get lucky and found one of the survivors?
:shock:
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Interesting that everything checks out apart from the engine, CalVIN shows it as:

SAL Manufacturer code: Land Rover
LB Model: Series III (for early models: Stage One)
A Wheel base: 88 inch (SWB)
A Body type: 2-door: Pickup, hood cab, truck cab, or soft/hard top
H Engine type: 2.25 litre petrol
1 Steering and transmission: Right-hand drive (RHD), 4-speed manual (LT95, or other)
A Model year: 1979 to 1987 (All models)
A Assembly location: Solihull, UK
159962 Serial number

It could well be that you do have one of the original 88" stage 1's.

Do you have any pictures?

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
Mattkisler

Post by Mattkisler »

I will have some pictures early next week, since I have it in a garage on the other side of the island and will not be back there until the 29th. I am the GM of a hotel up in Speyisde, the most Northern part of Tobago and do not make it often down to the other side. I will post the pictures as soon as I have them up on my system. Have you any idea where I can find that chassis number?
Larry

Post by Larry »

I won't profess to be a LR historian but IIRC there were 3x 88" V8's produced as prototypes in the early/mid 1970's, then the 109" Stage 1 V8 was production built in 1979. I wasn't aware of a Stage 1 SWB. My education obviously isn't up to scratch.

As far as I'm aware, apart from the prototypes, the 109 was the first V8 production LR (not counting RR) followed by the 110.

Were there other vehicles in the Stage 1 funding program other than the 109 V8? I know the 88" hung on for a bit after the 110 but before the 90 came in.
stage 1 fun

Post by stage 1 fun »

:)
Hello
certainly sounds as though you have one of the original 88 inche Stage 1.
The country is right from memory, and if I remember correctly was it not hte Police force on the islands who had these vehicles at first.
The lightweight part of the description I had not heard of before and makes for an interesting point.
Thanks for the posting.

:)
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

The chassis number should be stamped onto the side of one of the front chassis legs near where the springs attach.

Jon - M1CQO

My Website
Mattkisler

Post by Mattkisler »

I have just called the mechanic who has the car stored on the other side of Tobago. He is looking for the chassis number. I will get back as soon as I have it confirmed from him.
I have a friend here on the island who has restored one of the original police 88"s, so I know about them.
The weird thing with my car is that it was originally sold to a private company in Trinidad, the general importer of Mariner out board engines, who sold it to the second owner five years ago. He then sold it to me.
The car is sand colored, I am being told this is the original color, and it has one of these weird soft tops with the holes on the side to shoot through (they look like canvas condoms attached to the top) and next to them they have these little plastic patches with tiny holes in them to peek out.
Mattkisler

Post by Mattkisler »

The only chassis number that we have found so far is the one that is attached to the firewall under the hood. There are no numbers elsewhere, but the car is in a pretty rough shape, so maybe we will find something as we go along with the restauration.
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

You often find that the chassis legs rust and they either get replaced or patched up making the chassis number unreadable.

Jon - M1CQO

My Website
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

There was a post ages ago from another owner of an 88 Stage One here is the link:

http://stage1v8.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic ... hlight=#31

Maybe this will help - also there is another stage one website that mentions the story of these 88 V8s - sorry can't remember which one at the moment, but I am sure that someone will know.
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Londoner
Thanks for that link back to the Pictures of owners vehicles.I was going to sell my Stage 1 as i had bought to much stuff recently and my missus was getting a bit pissed about it all.Fortunatly i paid her back and the Hi-Cap can stay in the Barn.I would love to get my hands on a SWB Stage 1. I have considered building one but its just not the same.I'm hooked on these dam things, i drive an old Rangie at the moment but have been offered a swap for another Stage 1 up and running with a new MOT.Very tempting.
There are some piccys on the link from Londoner of a couple of Shorties in Trinidad. Lucky Buggers.
Terry
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
Mattkisler

Post by Mattkisler »

It looks more and more likely, that I got lucky, and have found one of the remaining 88 V8's. The engine number 11GO1928 checks out with the series III models 3.5 ltr. engine.
I traced the original owner, who bought the car from the General Importer, Robinson of Trinidad, through his family here, to Miami, where he is retired. He confirms that the car came with the V8.
This just leaves me to find another V8, either here in Trinidad, or one of the two that remain apparently in the UK, to find out if they also have the H in their chassis number, indicating the 2.25 ltr. I will, today, apply for a heritage certificate, to see if all this can be confirmed.
If you have any idea how I can connect with the, apparently, two remaining 88"V8 owners in the UK, I would love to find them, since I will try and restore mine to period LR standards. All help and advise, especially since it is free, will be appreciated. (And here I thought I would never have to go through this restoration nightmare again, after a 3000, Mk 3 '66 Austin Healey, a '59 TR 3 A and a '34 Alvis Crested Eagle Light Saloon).
Thank you for sending me the link with Nick Bovell's comments, I will look for him here in Trinidad, hoping that he still has his. I would not be surprised if his story about the Jamaican police ordering the cars and not being able to pay for them with the subsequent envoy of them to Trinidad checks out to be true.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Matt and Tel,

Check out this link for more on the SWB Stage One:

http://www.landroverclub.net/Club/HTML/ ... g_rare.htm

Also this link - looks like Samro may have info on the 88s - I am pretty sure that is Custard in the article:

http://www.landroverclub.net/Club/HTML/ ... ddy.htm#88

My Stage One and it's registration problems have been put to one side for the moment - but I have just scored office space with warehouse - wonder if the Landy will find a home there while I figure registration and legalization out?

Alan.
Mattkisler

Post by Mattkisler »

Hey guys, thank you. I now have the plate numbers of three of the Trinidad cars (not bad for a few days work), I have the names of the owners, or at least who owned them as late as 2002 and 2005, one being Nick Bovell, the other Sanjay Ramdath. Sanjay is set up in Trinidad as a vetrinary surgeon, I e mailed him today, and can hardly wait to call him tomorrow. I see that his plate number is TAJ, but in the picture in 2005 of the two 88"s on the beach the plate is changed to PAJ, this could mean that he has either sold it, or has changed it to the easier to drive in Trinidad P (private) plate from the T(truck) plate. I expect to be in touch with Nick Bovell by tomorrow. I have written a mail to the girl who wrote the article about the blue 88" in the pictures. This must be one of the two remaining 88" over there. I hope to have a reponse soon. The only difference so far is the body ID on the cars, Sanjay's is a B, three dood station wagon, mine is a A for the soft top.Total so far: 4
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Don't forget Guptee Bidaisee - PAS 711.

Does this mean free rum drinks and ocean view suite upgrades? I can almost taste the Pusser's!

Alan.