Gear Box

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
filthychimp03

Gear Box

Post by filthychimp03 »

my gearbox is pretty much completely dead, so i'm going to get a new one...i'm thinking something like a toyota land-cruiser.. any ideas on what to use?
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

Anything is possible, its just getting it all to fit :?

Is there anything over your side of the water that is a direct fit to a buik v8? Might make life a bit easier.

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
Larry

Post by Larry »

Original will be easier. Another LR gearbox will be next best (ideally one that was mated to a V8 ). But as Jonnyboy says "Anything is possible". If you like a challenge, an autobox may be a good upgrade (especially in the US where a clutch pedal is looked at with fear, uncertainty or bemusement! :) )

You could try rebuilding your own gearbox as a project. I have never tried this myself and it looks like a real "proper" job involving everything from delicate engineering measurement to brute force and ignorance. The perfect mix! :)
filthychimp03

Post by filthychimp03 »

i fear my lack of knowledge and complete incompetence would most likely lead to a complete disaster... :lol: for off-roading manuals much better than auto anyway...
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

for off-roading manuals much better than auto anyway
I know a few people who may disagree with you there :P

I know someone who has a 4.0L mid-engined 90 the he specifically built with an autobox. One great thing about an autobox is that if set up right it doesnt stall the engine on a failed hill climb. Non of this starting the engine in reverse gear.

Have you looked into getting it reconditioned. It might cost less to get a workshop to look at it that try to fit something else.

If you are thinking of a toyota box then I know that fitting a rover V8 into a hilux is common so you may get some joy by googling for that.

Jon - M1CQO

My Website
filthychimp03

Post by filthychimp03 »

mmm ill think about auto, but i like the feel of changing gears...also i think that you could get more reliability out of a new one rather than a re-conditioned. :?
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Can't go past the benefit of engine breaking in a manual gear box.... Just my two cents worth :D
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

i think that you could get more reliability out of a new one rather than a re-conditioned
Dont discount reconditioning. If its done properley then you should get the same mileage again out of it. More if its trearted well.

LT95 gearboxes are pretty bomb proof, whats actually wrong with yours?

The only reason I am swapping ine is that the whinning noise is getting annoying. It will proberely outlast my ownership of the vehicle in its current state.

Jon - M1CQO

My Website
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

stirlsilver wrote:Can't go past the benefit of engine breaking in a manual gear box.... Just my two cents worth :D
Cant beat the engine breaking from a diesel :D Got the shock of my life the first time I used engine braking on a steep slope with a petrol.

Jon - M1CQO

My Website
filthychimp03

Post by filthychimp03 »

in first gear it's so underpowered it feels like its not in gear at all, also it doesn't seem to mesh properly, because it keeps jerking the whole car + tons of other evil things :cry:
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

filthychimp03 wrote:in first gear it's so underpowered it feels like its not in gear at all, also it doesn't seem to mesh properly, because it keeps jerking the whole car + tons of other evil things :cry:
That sounds like it has nothing to do with the gearbox and a lot to do with tuning or air/fuel mix.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5