Installing a Sound System

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

I've got 2 speakers in my home made cubby box and 2 in the side panel behind the chairs. Also a 12" sub in the back. I'll make some pics when I have pulled my surf gear out so you can actually see it again :lol:
Head unit is placed against the roof above the front windows.
filthychimp03

Post by filthychimp03 »

thanks a lot pics would be great
Larry

Post by Larry »

Mik, The only place I ever saw that type of control was on Army SIII's. The civvy SIII's I drove all had a far simpler single plunger control.

Not really driven anything but SIII's and 110's and don't really pay much attention to such things anyway, so may well have been wrong.

Still glad the Stage 1 doesn't have all that lot. Never did like all those controls. Always a real pain for the middle seat passesnger :)
Kiwistage1V8

Post by Kiwistage1V8 »

Well, I've had about 10 SII, IIa's, and 3's that had those same hi/low and 4wd controls. Except mine weren't LHD.

:?
Stop Global Whining.
Larry

Post by Larry »

:oops: I did admit that I may be wrong. The missus will tell you thats a rare thing! :)
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

i know this is a bit off topic but just looking at the internal picture or your truck, what are all the levers for (red and yellow)? I have 1 gear stick, 1 hand brake, 1 High/Low transfer, 1 difflock knob thing?? just curious
They are standard series 2, 2a & 3 controls. The stage 1 is the only series 3 that doesnt have them.

Red is the transfer box hi/low lever. Low also = 4x4
Yellow is for engaging 4 wheel drive when in hi ratio. You push down the spring loaded plunger to engage 4x4 and then select low then high again to disengage.

These are in addition to handbrake (sticks strainght up in series 3's), gear lever and overdrive if fitted.

The stage 1 is the first permanent 4x4 landy I have owned :D

Jon

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

Unpacked my car so I could get a clear sight for a few pictures :)

Speakers in the Cubbybox
http://images5.fotopic.net/?iid=ymm7b4& ... quality=70

Speakers in the rear + amp
http://images4.fotopic.net/?iid=ymm7be& ... quality=70

12" ported subwoofer in the back
http://images1.fotopic.net/?iid=ymm7bg& ... quality=70
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

Mik wrote:The controls in the picture have nothing to do with the army :) They're just standard ways of selecting 4wd and hi/low on SII, SIIa and SIII with 4 cyl engines and std gearboxes.
LOL!!!! I took it for granted that every Stage 1 owner was a previous 4cyl series owner. I remember the first day i drove my 71 IIA off road . . . someone had to sit in the truck with me and explain the process for high/low in 4WD. Ah memories . . .
Larry

Post by Larry »

No, never had a 4cyl. Driven plenty of 110's and the odd SIII, but Stage 1 was my first Landy. I was actually after a Range Rover, went to see one only to find that it was actually a Stage 1 (how anyone would confuse the two I still don't know). Bought it on the spot for next to nothing and have had it ever since.
Larry

Post by Larry »

Finaly found my digital camera. Photos of my installation:

'scuse the mess and the wiring hanging out.

Manfred, I like the cubby box idea, looks smart.
filthychimp03

Post by filthychimp03 »

thats a really good place to put the speakers...the only problem being that my sirius radio needs computer speakers and i don't know if they'll get lous enough. Maybe i'll have to sound proof.
max
Larry

Post by Larry »

What do you mean by computer speakers? I presume you mean ones with a built in amp.

I'm sure you could wire in an amp for standard speakers and drive them from this.
filthychimp03

Post by filthychimp03 »

well...car speakers have a red and black wire from the back of each i presume, but computer speakers have the type of single wire that would fit into an headphone jack.
max
Larry

Post by Larry »

Speaker wire is normally two wires of the same colour with one having a coloured tracer line on it.

So the Sirius unit has jack sockets for the speaker outputs. If it's already amplified at the outputs, you could just put Jack plugs on the end of normal speaker wires, or if not amplified, make up a wire with Jack plugs to go to the Amp, then drive the speakers off the Amp.

I'm not familiar with Sirius Stereos, so this may be a dumb question, but, are the outputs fitted with the Jack Sockets the main speaker outputs or Auxiliary ones to line out to other devices? There may be normal speaker outputs on the main connector (presume it'll be an ISO type connector).
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

I fitted my head unit in the cubby box and bought the speakers from richer sounds. I purchased some cheap but very good quality bookshelf speakers that i placed behind the drivers and passengers seats. with the grills pointing upwards. The noise and clarity is astounding.