Installing a Sound System

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
filthychimp03

Installing a Sound System

Post by filthychimp03 »

i want to install a sound system, but i not sure where to place the speakers...i think somewhere under the front and very rear seats is possible, but i also might hang them from the roof.
max
Larry

Post by Larry »

I made a couple of aluminium mounting plates for speakers that fit horizontal in the dashboard tray. One at the far left on passenger side and one between centre control panel and instrument binacle. You hardly notice they're there. They were good speakers so sound was decent.

Also made a top hat type mounting box for the stereo that fits at an angle beneath the dash in front of the gear stick. There is just (an I mean JUST!) enough room to fit it there and still get the thing into first gear. Wasn't keen on the roof mounted stereo.

They have been supplemented with a pair of 8" Blaupunkts in the rear though.

Take a look at these. Better than my descriptions:

Image Speaker Brackets

Image Stereo cradle
Larry

Post by Larry »

This may make the mounting bracket a bit clearer. Leave some room at the back of the bracket for the cables, aerial etc. and of course a hole for them to go through! Fix the stereo with set screws through the side into the stereo casing (they usually have tapped holes for this).

I suppose the same arrangement would work for a CB radio. In fact most CB's are smaller than stereos so would be even better.
filthychimp03

Ipod Compatible

Post by filthychimp03 »

One thing i'm looking into is using an ipod speaker unit and disassembling it. Then i can arrange the parts around the dashboard area...

filthychimp03

Post by filthychimp03 »

wait so your speakers are positioned around here in the brackets??

Larry

Post by Larry »

Nearly. Really up to you where exactly you put them.

I put mine here (in yellow):

I have also in recent days been looking at the following:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?Mod ... 8&doy=19m3 and http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?Mod ... 1&doy=19m3

Plugging in an MP3 player solves the problem I had with CD's jumping in the LR, and having a hatred of cassette tapes (you youngsters may not know what these are! :D :D ).

Maybe I'll be one of the iPod generation after all! :D
filthychimp03

Post by filthychimp03 »

unfortunately the cassettes haven't died officially and i've had a fare share of pain with them :D
filthychimp03

Post by filthychimp03 »

what type of car stereo should i get?? something thats relatively simple to install would be preferable...there's so many different types.
max :?
gary_in_nz

Post by gary_in_nz »

i know this is a bit off topic but just looking at the internal picture or your truck, what are all the levers for (red and yellow)? I have 1 gear stick, 1 hand brake, 1 High/Low transfer, 1 difflock knob thing?? just curious

cheers, gary
"If it ain't v8, take it back"
filthychimp03

Post by filthychimp03 »

i have exactly what you have...this is a random picture i got from google images, but i think military vehicles had those extra things. If you search on google for an old series thrown from the army you can see them in there i think.
max
Larry

Post by Larry »

I'd just go for a cheap and chearful stereo. At the end of the day it's still a LandRover and any stereo in it will be subject to excessive heat, cold, vibration and water. Oh, and security may be an issue also.

In summary: Something that won't make you cry when it breaks! (and it will break!) and won't tempt a scumbag thief to put your window through (or in my case, waggle the door handle until it unlocks!)

The extra levers and knobs are the military controls for engaging 4x4 and low/high range. Push down on this, pull that, hope that doesn't pop back up! Absolute pain in the rear. One of the reasons I like the Stage 1, no worries about selecting 4x4 and easy to drop the box to low range.
filthychimp03

Post by filthychimp03 »

well i might have made a mistake buying this...

but i don't think that anyone is going to drive along my drive at night and nick it hopefully, my areas not too bad for that!!
max
Larry

Post by Larry »

Living in the States I'd be tempted to have a Sirius unit too, just to listen to some decent radio.
filthychimp03

Post by filthychimp03 »

touché radio is cr** over here give me radio 2,1 and even 4 to listen to a decent programme!!
max
Mik

Post by Mik »

The controls in the picture have nothing to do with the army :) They're just standard ways of selecting 4wd and hi/low on SII, SIIa and SIII with 4 cyl engines and std gearboxes.
Michael
1965 109 FC SIIA
1982 109 V8 SIII CSW Stage One
1982 109 V8 SIII HCPU Stage One
1990 RRC Vogue SE