Installing a Sound System

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
filthychimp03

Post by filthychimp03 »

not a dumb question, ive never had a sirius before either...the jack sockets are for the main audio output.
max
Larry

Post by Larry »

Just had a quick look on the Sirius website. They mention that you need a Vehicle docking kit (which I presume is a power adapter and cradle) for the unit and the output is to plug into a normal stereo with Aux input.

This suggests that the output is not amplified enough to drive standard speakers (especially as other accessories seem to be a "boombox" etc)

I am assuming that Sirius radios are designed to be an "add on" to your existing Stereo, if this is the case, then I'd go for mounting both the Sirius and a Standard Stereo in a cubby box and run the Sirius through the Stereo using the same speakers, probably also fitted in the cubby for simplicity in wiring (see Manfred's pics)
filthychimp03

Post by filthychimp03 »

it is meant to work with a stereo, however, i thought that i could use the pre amplified speakers we were talking about.
max
Larry

Post by Larry »

Just go with a 12v car stereo amp. will be much easier in the end. Although a mate of mine with a 110 uses a massive PC speaker system (complete with blue glowing transparent speakers and sub) wired into an 240v inverter.
dougmilns

computer speakers ? - easy :)

Post by dougmilns »

Creative Labs 2:1 speakers. these are amplified speakers and can run from any line out (in my case either a personal cd player or an Ipod - cd players dont work too well offroading :) ) I have mounted the two small speakers by angled brackets from in the front corners of the roof and the base box behind the passenger seat. The best bit about the creative set is that the power supply is 12Vdc :D

I have also done the same thing in a caravan with a slightly newer set that had a 12vAC power supply. when I looked a bit closer this was rectified to DC inside the amp so runs quite happily on the DC supply straight from the battery. I can provide pics if required but this really is an easy setup!

Doug.
onno wielinga

Post by onno wielinga »

be carefull if you do a lot of wading; waterproof your stereo and boxes.
paper cones will go moldy and die eventually. 8)