A few questions for the experts

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
jonnyboy

A few questions for the experts

Post by jonnyboy »

Hi All

I bought my stage 1 as a pile of bits so when it comes to rebuilding there are a few things that I am not sure about.

1. There is a pair of pipes on the drivers side wing that I assume are breathers but have no idea what the connect to.

2. This may be related to to No. 1, on the carb air filter adapters (the bits that the U shaped pipes fit) there are fittings to take a pipe but again I have no idea what.

3. Where does the vacumn pipe from the difflock switch fit on the intake manifold?

4. What type of oil does the gear/transfer box use? I have been told conflicting info.

5. Where these type of reversing lights standard on stage 1's?

And if so where can I get some as mine are rotten inside.

I think thats it :D

Thanks

Jon
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Johnny
I have a tub exactly the same as that looking for a new home with the reversing lights.I have the piccys of the bumper here. How do i post here?
Tel[/img][/url]
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

Hi Tel

You will need to host the pics on a webserver somwhere and then use the url. If you email them to me I can host them on my srever and put them on here for reference.

My tub is now in good nick as I have replaced all of the rotten steel work apart from the crossmember that goes under the 2nd row seats (Any idea on where I can get a replacment from?) and have replace all of the lights apart form the reverse lights.

Jon
V8darren

Re: A few questions for the experts

Post by V8darren »

jonnyboy wrote:Hi All

I bought my stage 1 as a pile of bits so when it comes to rebuilding there are a few things that I am not sure about.

1. There is a pair of pipes on the drivers side wing that I assume are breathers but have no idea what the connect to.

2. This may be related to to No. 1, on the carb air filter adapters (the bits that the U shaped pipes fit) there are fittings to take a pipe but again I have no idea what.

3. Where does the vacumn pipe from the difflock switch fit on the intake manifold?

4. What type of oil does the gear/transfer box use? I have been told conflicting info.

5. Where these type of reversing lights standard on stage 1's?

And if so where can I get some as mine are rotten inside.

I think thats it :D

Thanks

Jon
Hi Jonnyboy,

Hope these answer your questions.

1. The pipes that come from the driver side wing should be attached to a tank underneath the wing, Yes, they attach to the top of each carb. There should be a pipe sticking up on each carb about 12mm in diameter. These are vacume pipes and the tank is a vacume tank which operates the servo brakes and Diff lock.
2. Not sure will have a look for you.
3. Answered in 1
4. Engine oil 20W/50
5. I think they are, they are the same as mine which has only had 4 owners so good chance there origanal.

Darren
You know your in heaven when the V8's a revin
V8darren

Re: A few questions for the experts

Post by V8darren »

Pics to help with above discriptions

1. Drivers wing pipes to carb and Elbow pipes, one as shown the other goes under the air intake onto the temperature control thingy nearest the front of the engine.

3. Diff lock vacume pipe fits here.

5. My reversing lights.

Darren

Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Darren
How do you rate the K&Ns?
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
V8darren

Post by V8darren »

supurb

I de-ristricted the engine and fitted the air filters

It sounds great under acceleration and I have had the vehicle up to speeds you wouldn't belive pointer round to the yellow choke light my guess is about 105 - 110mph

Darren
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

Darren

I am a little puzzled by the 2 hoses that go from the carbs to the wing, they look like they just vent into the wheel arch. Surely they must be sucking air and possibly water into the air intakes.

What are they for and are they needed?

Cheers

Jon

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
V8darren

Post by V8darren »

Hi Jonnyboy,

Yes they are needed, well on mine anyway (I'm no expert on Stage 1's).

They go to a vacum tank under the front wing which feeds a vacum to the servo brakes and a vacum guage on the dash, not sure if it feeds anything else, not really had a look.

I have been told that it was an optional extra fitted by Land Rover so that farmers could run a vacum braked trailer/farm machinary.
I don't know how reliable this infomation is maybe some one come confirm or dismiss this.

Darren
db
Site Admin

Post by db »

It's dark outside so I just looked at the parts book and those hoses connect to a couple of short down-turned pipes under the wing.

I don't really see how they can be vacuum, since they're connected to the adaptor on the inlet side of the carbs rather than the manifold side.

One thing that does occur to me, though I'm guessing here as I've not taken them apart, is that the parts book drawing shows more holes in the adapter and gasket than needed for bolts and I wonder if the extra hole connects the pipe to a fuel overflow port or something on the face of the carb. It would make sense to pipe overflowing fuel outside the engine bay.

David
glencoyne

Post by glencoyne »

David

The pipes are indeed for fuel overflow, in case the carb floats stick. I have had this happen with a Range Rover once.

Richard
V8darren

Post by V8darren »

Would it not make sense to have these pipes go to the fuel tank so as not to waste any fuel in an already gas guzzling V8

Darren
primsil

Post by primsil »

I have been told these are vent pipes that are run there to an area of still air, and they will use more fuel if not connected.
1985 110, 3.9 auto