Shorland Mk4/SB401

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
glencoyne

Shorland Mk4/SB401

Post by glencoyne »

I am trying to find out more information about the Shorland Mk4 armoured Land Rover. It was introduced in 1980, used a V8 engine, and it seems likely that it was based on the Stage 1. All I have to go on is a front half chassis from one which I acquired last weekend - this combines the Stage 1 front crossmember with military-style extended spring hangers. There is no chassis number. I am told that the vehicle had 4.7 Salisbury axles front and rear, and 900-16 tyres, and it seems around 250 were built, but that's as much as I know.

Here's a link to a picture of one:

http://www.shorland.info/variants/sb401/sb401.html

If anyone can fill in the (many) gaps I would be interested to hear more.
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Hi Glencoyne
The Shoreland was based on the Stage 1 and should have power steering fitted.
Tel
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
Huzey

Post by Huzey »

Whilst on the subject of armoured stage 1's, does anyone know anything about the Simba as this is what my power steering kit was removed from. Have only found a print on e-bay of a simba, not much info on the interweb at all, or I am just looking in the wrong places as usual. :D Asked a mate of mine who served in Northern Ireland as they were used by the RUC, and all he said was " ah, the pig! Very low back door on them. Used to bang your head on them when trying to get away from molotav cocktails!!!"
I think all armoured land rovers were refered to as pigs though.
I started off with nothing, and still got most of it left!
1989 110 V8 Hard Top

1955 Fordson Major E1a