Stage 1 brakes

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
Huzey

Stage 1 brakes

Post by Huzey »

Hello
Just wondered if anyone has fitted a disc brake conversion to a stage 1 V8? Would appreciate any info on any problems encountered etc.
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

I think Chris Perfect does the conversion. Not cheap though! The brakes were the reason the Stage 1s were detuned.as you probably allready know.
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

Fitted Zeus disc conversion front and back to My Truck. Easy took about an hour each corner. They took about 500 miles to bed properly. They then made a scratching noise which drove me bonkers. Sounded like a broken spring inside a drum brake.Checked double checked. Discovered that the paint on the edge of the pads that usually wears away with the pad material was incredibly thick and was like a feeler gauge blade rubbing on the disc. Easily fixed by scraping the paint off. Now no noise.

Just to note. I like them as you can spot a hub seal leaking before it's too late.

When cold they don't have much feel and lack a bit of stopping power as soon as they get warm they are superb. Handle heavy loads and trailers with ease.

No grinding of front swivels.

The drawbacks I see from the Cris Perfect ones is the grinding of the swivel assemblies. The Rocky mountain ones require the whole hub assembly to be replaced. Note you need to check with ZEUS which wheels will clear the caliper. I've used Wolf wheels.
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

Last edited by Andy Dawe on Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
nijweide

Post by nijweide »

Andy,

What kind of rims do you run on your zeus disc brakes? I've heard that the standard steel rims don't fit with them and that you need to go to wolfs or similar with wider offset. I don't really like the look of the more "modern" rims on my truck.

Also in the december LRM it is announced that Rocky Mountain will start selling vented discsets that will fit normal rims. I'm curious how they will urn out. There's nothing yet on their website.

Steven
109V8CSW & SIIASWBSofttop
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

I've put WOLF rims on and I think they look good. Not a fan of the modular or spoked wheels. The Wolf rims are silver at the moment but plan to paint them limestone.

You may find one ton Rims or Forward control rims will fit email Zeus they will know.

Bumpkin has some fitted to his HiCap by the looks of it.
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Hi
The rims on the HiCap are 130s. I have 3 sets.One set is for sale, they have very good Colwat ATs on and i want 250 for the lot. I have just picked up a set of proper 1 Tons which i'm going to put some Summer tyres on. I personally think that the 130/1 Tons rims look best on Series Trucks.
Huzey, have you got discs all round or just on the front?
Terry
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
Huzey

Post by Huzey »

Tel
I just put them on the front, as I had replaced the rear brakes complete for the mot, but if any problems arise with them, I wouldn't think twice about sticking a zeus kit on the back as well.
I started off with nothing, and still got most of it left!
1989 110 V8 Hard Top

1955 Fordson Major E1a
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

I fitted them on rear without any problems However I'm told I need a Front Rear Bias of 60/40 I obviously have 50/50.

Anyone have an idea how I can do this.......
Huzey

Post by Huzey »

Andy
The simplest way I can think of is to fit an adjustable bias valve as fitted to rally cars, could be advantageous off road as well? Used to be able to get them from places like Merlin motorsport at castle coombe in wiltshire, and other performance type places. Not looked at anything like that lately so not sure if they are still available. Demon tweeks was another place I used to go to in my rallying days.
I started off with nothing, and still got most of it left!
1989 110 V8 Hard Top

1955 Fordson Major E1a
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

Cheers for that. will look later

I have heard mentioned something about a Discovery Bias thingy that will fit which has no adjustment. Any ideas out there>>>>
onno wielinga

Post by onno wielinga »

you have to fit a bias valve!

with dynamics when you brake there,s more weight moved to your front axle; this way the rear brakes can block easily. when this happens the rear will go frontways and you have turned back to front. I have heard this from somebody who did put discs front and back on a series vehicle. without the valve it is rightout dangerous!

when this hapens at speed your car could easily roll due to the high centre of weight/mass/gravity (?).
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

Agree. Went through this with Zeus they stated it's ok without a valve. They run their LWB without a valve ........ Will speak to MOT inspector.
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

Part Number : NTC6868L
CONTROL VALVE PRESSURE REDUCING R/ROVER
& DISCO

£42.98

Anyone know whether this will do the job??? Found it in Craddocks Disco Brake section
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

I want to bring this back to life for a moment. Is there not enough similarity with the hubs on RRC or Discos to swap them right over to the Stage 1? There has got to be someone that has tried it. I am much more likely to find spare parts from a RR or Disco for less than the cost of the kits . . .